Stone resin shower tray fitted with no support...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we've just had a new shower tray fitted and had a bit of a disaster with the fitter. He's made loads of mistakes and when I was going to fix the ceiling he cut a hole in I noticed the shower tray for half its length and about a foot wide is totally unsupported (see pic). We've called the fitter and he assures us it's fine and has guaranteed the work. The leaflet that comes with it says clear as day the whole tray except a very small oval for the waste must by fully supported. The fitter is saying the piece of wood you can see across it is supporting it, even though I can get my hand between it and the tray. I'd be grateful for some impartial advice.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    42.8 KB · Views: 2,212
Sponsored Links
that looks a bit pony to me - unless he has fitted loads of these I don't think I'd be happy with that. Does his guarantee cover any and all work/materials to make good should the tray crack/collapse e.g. ceiling downstairs etc?

Thanks for replying, he has just said he will guarantee the work. A plumber friend has looked at the photo and says there should be no danger of going through ceiling because the joists are good, but we are concerned about the tray cracking (which is why we changed the last one). I think the confusion has arisen because the tray says load bearing. I think the fitter has just packed the sides out to get it level and left nearly the entire tray unsupported.

Tell him to take it out and do it in accordance with manufacturer's requirements "....must be fully supported..." is a requirement, not an option. If he saw the leaflet before he started work then the remedial works should be at his cost.

Sponsored Links
I genuinely don't want him doing anything else in the house, he's a total cowboy. Soooo many mistakes! He's got loads of good reviews on the trade websites too.

He's got loads of good reviews on the trade websites too.

This is all the proof you need that he's a cowboy. Good tradesmen don't use those sites, so luckily enough they're a magnet for the dross.

Nozzle

Loads of reviews off friends and family probably.
Mate in work has just built his own shower cubicle and has put a solid block of timber under the entire cubicle floor. He has put a cut out in it where the waste passes through but the rest is fully supported.

Thanks for your responses. We've sent an email explaining that the work is not in accordance with the requirements and gave some serious concerns that the shower tray will crack. In the mean time, we are going to get the opinion of another bathroom fitter in writing and advise the guy that we want it refitted at his costs otherwise it's small claims court.

I don't think you can employ a third party and then expect the original guy to stump up without having given him the opportunity to do the fix himself.

If you don't want him back I suggest you just put it all down to experience and swallow the cost of having to pay for the job twice

Needs a sheet of ply below apart from waste cut out and then set in sand and cement to ensure full support and level.

I think you could reinforce that with some timbers attached to the joists from below. No need to remove the shower tray. But as others have said the only hole should be for the waste trap. Some of the timbers don't look attached. A tradesman's warranty (btw its a warranty not a guarantee), is not worth much if you have to sue him to get him to fix it at a future point, only to find the damage caused is greater than he's got.

For info I once had to replace a broken resin 48 x 30 tray without damaging the laminated wall finishes.
This was achieved by firstly breaking out the damaged tray - which had originally been set on a 1/2" layer of cement on a full wooden floor.
All cement was removed and the floor was drilled extensively with 1" damater holes (you'll find out later)
A couple of long wooden slides some 3/8" thick were laid onto the wooden substrate. These permitted the new tray to be slid into position.
Next problem was how to "jack up" the tray to meet the existing shower walls. To do this a couple of bicyle tubes were slipped under and gently inflated. These were more than adequate to lift the tray into position and permitted extraction of the two slide strips.
To fix the tray into the elevated position a controlled amount of expanding foam was injected. Too much foam and there's a danger of the tray base buckling - the exanding foam is capable of exerting an amazing amount of pressure - been there and done it :cry: That's why the floor was drilled, the holes offered an escape route for excess foam.
The result was a fully supported replacement tray with no damage to walls
Obviously I needed access outwith the cubicle to get the drain fitting installed but that was a simple job of cutting an armhole access point in the adjacent floor.

Whoa get in touch with building services at the council these jockeys get away with murder they get their work because they are cheap but remember good jobs ain't cheap but cheap jobs ain't good

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back