Stone shower tray fitting on chipboard floor board, advice please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I am fitting a stone shower try upstairs on to chipboard flooring the instructions say lay it on a wet mortar mix which is fair enough my question is the wet mortar mix will blow the chipboard and I presume might be uneven when it all dries out

How can I seal the chipboard or can I just lay a sheet of plastic on the flooring before adding the mortar to stop it blowing?

Sponsored Links
Chipboard is unsuitable for shower tray.

You need to remove chipboard the shower sit on and replace with marine plywood about 18 to 25mm thick.

Daniel.

If changing the floor isn't an option then lay a thin layer of well screwed marine ply over it, or don't use mortar, use a solvent based bedding material. Wet mortar mix isn't the only way to bed a tray.

I always recommend tanking if moisture resistant board and/or plasterboard/ply is to be used in wet areas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back