Stone Shower tray + riser legs.. what stops it sliding?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1200 x 760 'Iflo' ( City Plumbing) stone resin shower tray and bought the optional leg kit, mainly just to suss out how these legs work. I initially planned to fit the tray onto a waterproof ply base supported on a timber frame, because it seemed to be a better, stronger solution. However, because space is tight, being able to gently lower this heavy tray onto a cement mix is not going to be easy.

The metal threaded legs are 'designed' to go with my chosen shower tray (even though they look very similar to ones on ebay for 1/4 the price.) They simply screw into threaded plastic holes built into the tray, but it weighs 42kg and the legs are similar to those that support a bath. It's going onto a wooden floor, so I'd probably put reinforcing planks onto the floor where the legs are, to spread the weight.

These legs cost £50 so it's not a cost saving issue, a wooden frame would be cheaper, but it's the apparent ( alledged?) ease of install that interests me.

Assuming I go with the riser leg option, what is stopping the tray shift laterally for whatever reason? There is provision to screw the feet to the floor, but i would only be ablle to reach the front ones, therefore only 3 out of 8 legs would be fixed to the floor. Only a mouse with a small scredriver would be abe to reach the other legs once the tray is in place.

Sponsored Links
You may be better off in the plumbing forum, but if you can the front 3 in and the waste is fitted I can't see the tray going anywhere.
I've always found our local City plumbing helpful with any advice. There used to be one of the lads that used be on tools which helped.

I fitted a 1700 x 800 stone resin (70Kg) tray straight onto a bed of mortar, it wasn't easy, as it was smack against three walls.

I used ratchet straps to lower it down, then slide them out, might help you lower it onto your frame.
I also screwed a temporary batten on the floor, so the tray couldn't slide too far forward.

Needless to say now it's dry it's rock solid.

Hi chaps, thanks for the replies. I'm still undecided what to do for the best solution. Legs seem easy but sound fragile, timber frame seems hard work but sturdy. ( 70kg, bl00dy hell)
@Mr Chibs
Did you find it easy to level the tray on the cement? My tray is up against three walls too.

@Stuart
At the moment, I'm really p1ssed off with City Plumbing because I originally went in for a Mira Flight tray and through a series of cock-ups and mis information on their part, ended up with this Iflo tray. Now that its actually arrived ( two days later than promised) it turns out to be closer to 770mm wide which doesn't fit with all the plans I've made. It will stick out into the doorway by a few mm, which isn't much but will look amateurish. Then, today I saw the EXACT same tray at Wickes ( next door and part of TP, as is City Plumbing) for nearly £40 less than the 'special' discount price I paid at City Plumbing.

Am I being daft thinking that a 760mm tray should actually measure 760mm?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yes, wasn't too much trouble levelling, check your tray for level before your start, there was a disclaimer on ours (from memory) that it could +/-2mm.

I also painted the plywood with a primer, before the mortar layer.

Good luck

+/- 2mm? From what I've seen on this tray so far it'll more like +/-2". The tray about 7mm wider than it should be and 5mm higher than it should be. The onlly disclaimer says that the height could be +/- 5mm, which is poor really as it's advertised as a "low level tray only 45mm."
There is no disclaimer that I can see for levelness though. Just got to find my feather edge now...

Which primer did you use, I hear a lot about about SBR rather than Unibond? I'd plan on using a 5-1 cement mix, does that sound right? Any additives required?

Mine is a low level 25mm tray (Crosswater), my eyes popped out at the weight, it was a hell of a struggle getting it upstairs.

I used this primer, on the walls and floor, two coats.
https://www.wickes.co.uk/Norcros-Mu...&utm_content=deeplink&utm_campaign=DIYnot.com

Think I did 5-1 I put an additive (said so in the instructions) in, might have been feb-mix, but would have to check the tub to be 100%
I suspect, anything to help stop it crumble.

Have fitted a few trays on riser legs. Used hexagonal head screws, screwed down with a ratchet wrench with correct size socket.Into pre drilled wooden floor or rawl plugs.
Its still a lot of faffing about but the end result is worth the effort and its fitted to the manufactures instructions :D.

Happy plumbing :sneaky:

Thats a good idea.

Thinking about swapping this Iflo tray for a Mira Flight Low ( as per my original plan). These are lighter, probably better made and can be siliconed down (!) according to Mira's installation sheet. I spoke to Mira today and they confirmed this.
What is confusing though...the Mira Vortex waste expels up to 25litre per minute, the Iflo waste clearly states 54 litres per minute!!! My shower pumps out approx. 20litres per minute. Both fit to 40mm waste piping it seems, so why the difference in expulsion I don't know?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back