Stone wall help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need a retaining wall to be built to the front of my property approx 3.6m long and about 4ft high. Its going to rtetain the front garden which is grass and planters.

Not sure how to go about building it. Im guessing to would need to be quite thick for structure so was thinking of internal wall of eithe r 4" solid concs or 6" hollows filled with lean mix concrete then the stone wall to front.

Anyone offer any alternate solutions?

Oh, and how the hell do you work out how many stones needed, its not like working out bricks is it lol!!

Sponsored Links
when we did a similar job we used the 6" solids on the inside and the stone front and top.

just remember good deep footings and weepholes.

we got are stone 1ton at a time.

Oh, and how the hell do you work out how many stones needed, its not like working out bricks is it lol!!

I would expect to order stone by the tonne (1000Kg). If you know the size of the wall then you can work out the weight of it. You need to add for wastage as not all the stone will suit your needs. Sorry I don't know what wastage is usual. As a guess perhaps 10 to 15% may be do it.

I found the density of different materials at the web site below.

http://www.simetric.co.uk/si_materials.htm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back