stoned driveway pls help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
firstly im totally not great at diy im a welder not a builder lol recently my girlfriend has had trouble gettin her car window smashed an broken into so we decided to make gates in her fence an drive the car in the front garden the front garden has stones in it but has thick plastic below them which i guess stops us driving the car right in at the min im fearful the car would get stuck as the garden is little sloped and uneven.we were just wanting to get the car in off the street at the min would it work if i just placed few paving stones down loose on the stonesor can anyone give me some advice pls?iv added a pic below

Sponsored Links
I'm sure in your heart of hearts that you know the best way is to dig it out, put in hardcore ...well basically do a proper job.

Being realistic, I guess time is short and you may have a restricted budget.

I you put down paving slabs and the the ground is soft then the weight of the car will break them up.

I would suggest, and this is a Heath Robinson SHORT TERM possibility, is to run the car in - making tracks in the stones - take the car out, and assuming the young lady can accurately drive the car in using the same tracks time after time, you can reinforce the track area, by digging out 6 inches or so and put down some large aggregate, tamping it firmly down with a lage fence post.

(There used to be a film that you can attatch to the insides of the car windows that holds the glass together in the event of someone smashing it - stops them reaching in and unlocking it alledged - may be worth researching the net to see if still about.)
Good luck

I'm sure in your heart of hearts that you know the best way is to dig it out, put in hardcore ...well basically do a proper job.

Being realistic, I guess time is short and you may have a restricted budget.

I you put down paving slabs and the the ground is soft then the weight of the car will break them up.

I would suggest, and this is a Heath Robinson SHORT TERM possibility, is to run the car in - making tracks in the stones - take the car out, and assuming the young lady can accurately drive the car in using the same tracks time after time, you can reinforce the track area, by digging out 6 inches or so and put down some large aggregate, tamping it firmly down with a lage fence post.

(There used to be a film that you can attatch to the insides of the car windows that holds the glass together in the event of someone smashing it - stops them reaching in and unlocking it alledged - may be worth researching the net to see if still about.)
Good luck
its a short term fix at the min i will try drivin car on to make tracks but will the plastic underneath be ok to drive over ?

Depends what gauge it is - the worst that can happen is the pressure of the stones will make little holes in it. If you get any weeds later, stick some more poly down - it's as cheap as chips.

Regards
J

Sponsored Links
Depends what gauge it is - the worst that can happen is the pressure of the stones will make little holes in it. If you get any weeds later, stick some more poly down - it's as cheap as chips.

Regards
J
was just scared car would get stuckas stones are bout 5" deep in places but will give it a go :D thanks

Try probing the stones with the wrong end of a rake or hoe handle, or a bamboo cane, to establish where its at its deepest. If its deepest nearest the house (presuming car is front wheel drive) then reverse it in at a slight slant - that should do the trick.

( god you must really love this girl!!!!)

Good luck

Jim

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back