Stop Cock or Ball Valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Background:
separate flat in apartment block with shared water supply. Each apartment then has a separate/independent feed from this shared supply. The shared supply has an internal Stop Cock as well as main isolating in the street.

The Stop Cock inside my apartment supplied from the shared supply seized and broke when I tried to close it. Now leaking!!! :mad:

Question:
Do I have to use a Stop Cock (screw down type with an arrow indicating flow direction) on , or can I replace with a lever Ball Valve?

Ive tried to understand the regulations, but these things are never written for the novice! :confused:

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Bacho.

Is the reason to use a Stop Cock down to preventing 'back flow', hence potential contamination of the fresh water supply?

Just curious...

Thanks again.

Is the reason to use a Stop Cock down to preventing 'back flow', hence potential contamination of the fresh water supply?

No, that is called a double check valve.

:D

Sponsored Links
It used to be stop cocks only but I thought that had changed? :)

So, if a Stop Cock does not prevent 'back flow', then what would be the reason to use a Stop Cock rather than a lever Ball Valve on the main supply in the flat?

No reason

http://www.arrowvalves.co.uk/waterregulations/waterrregstutorial9-isolatingvalves.doc

From the link above

"Under the old Byelaws, the “stopvalve” to a property was normally to BS1010 or BS5433. These are of the screw down type (with rising headworks), which incorporate a rubber washer. The new Regulations no longer specify a type of valve and spherical “Ball” valves may be used. R2.8 states that any valve may be used providing it confirms to an appropriate British Standard (e.g. BSI Kitemarked), or appropriate European standard, or the Regulator’s specification (e.g. WRAS / KIWA UK) and it is suitable for the purpose.
G2.8 makes it clear that spherical valves may be used for above and below ground applications. Indeed the valves supplied by the water company in the meter box are normally spherical".

denso13 said:
G2.8 makes it clear that spherical valves may be used for above and below ground applications. Indeed the valves supplied by the water company in the meter box are normally spherical".

Ahem...

Whilst G2.8 does say that spherical valves may be used above or below ground, it does not specify that that they may be used as stopvalves. It quite clearly states that "STOPVALVES" should be screwdown valves complying with at least BS1010 for above ground and BS5433 for below ground. It also allows the use of plug cocks to BS2580. A spherical valve is not a plugcock.

For the application for which you intend (control of whole supply to your premises) the valve would be classed as a stopvalve and would need to be a screwdown type.

In the DEFRA Guidance Document said:
G2.8: Stopvalves of 15mm to 50mm nominal size laid underground should be screwdown valves complying with BS 5433 or plug cocks conforming with BS 2580. Stopvalves for use above ground should be screwdown valves complying with BS 1010 or as for below ground use. Stopvalves of nominal size 50mm may, and larger sizes should be cast iron gate valves complying with BS 5163. Spherical type valves may also be used in all sizes for above and below ground.
Note that Water Undertakers generally install spherical valves next to their water meters.

BoxBasher said:
denso13 said:

Ahem...

Whilst G2.8 does say that spherical valves may be used above or below ground, it does not specify that that they may be used as stopvalves. It quite clearly states that "STOPVALVES" should be screwdown valves complying with at least BS1010 for above ground and BS5433 for below ground. It also allows the use of plug cocks to BS2580. A spherical valve is not a plugcock.

For the application for which you intend (control of whole supply to your premises) the valve would be classed as a stopvalve and would need to be a screwdown type.

The guidance states this but nowhere in the Act (the Law) or Regulations are BS numbers or screwdown stopcocks mentioned.

denso13 said:
The guidance states this but nowhere in the Act (the Law) or Regulations are BS numbers or screwdown stopcocks mentioned.

Reg 2 is actually more to do with the materials used in contact with potable water. The BS numbers relate to the resistance to corrosion and de-zincification.

Reg 10 states the need for a stopvalve - within the industry "stopvalve" is taken to mean a screwdown tap as opposed to "isolating valve" which can be any fitting designed to stem the flow of water within a pipe (eg ball-o-fix etc).

Softus, all of the water meter boxes we use have a screwdown valve in them or are of "plug cock" style and arent specifically "spherical valves"... ;)

Agreed that it is industry standard to fit screw down stopcocks, I was only commenting that the most recent water regulations do not specify this (although guidance does). :)

denso13 said:
Agreed that it is industry standard to fit screw down stopcocks, I was only commenting that the most recent water regulations do not specify this (although guidance does). :)

The guidance is deemed to be as good as the regulations... ;)

erm..no. The act is the law and doesn't mention it. The guidance is guidance ;)

Where does it say the guidance is the law?

Denso13 said:
Where does it say the guidance is the law?

I didn't say the guidance was law :confused:

I will rephrase it.

The guidance is an explanation of the Regulations both as a legal aspect (Guidance) and practical aspect (Recommendations).

If something is installed as per the "guidance" then it is deemed to be compliant with Regs... (unless the guidance has been misinterpreted).

There is nothing in the guidance which contradicts the Regulations therefore they are deemd "as good as".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back