Stop cock or not for holiday (boiler + thermal storage)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Boilermate 0V thermal storage and a boiler. Don't know more than this but could investigate.

Going away for 6 weeks. I was planning to leave heating on 15 min morning/evening with thermostat at 15C, water on hot all the time.
Do I turn off the main stop cock? Would like to minimise risk of flooding but read that messing with the stop cock when it hasn't been touched in a while could also cause problems. Suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Do you have a water meter out in the street ? turn it off there .
Stop cocks can occasionally leak a bit when not touched for ages but it is just the gland nut that will need nipping up .

Do you have a water meter out in the street ? turn it off there .
Stop cocks can occasionally leak a bit when not touched for ages but it is just the gland nut that will need nipping up .
Thanks I'll have a look. And the heating system is fine to be left running with mains off?

Thanks I'll have a look. And the heating system is fine to be left running with mains off?
Yep will be fine also house insurance will usually ask for it when property left empty for this length of time

Sponsored Links
Make sure you tell your insurance company - most ask the question "will the house be unoccupied for more than 30 days at a time". If you have a mishap and they find out you've been away for longer than 30 days, they may refuse your claim.

There's no 'may' about it. If they can avoid paying out, then they will!

Make sure you tell your insurance company - most ask the question "will the house be unoccupied for more than 30 days at a time". If you have a mishap and they find out you've been away for longer than 30 days, they may refuse your claim.
Appreciate it, luckily mine is 60 days! It looks like more of them are 60 now, when I looked a few years ago they were all 30.

"Unoccupied: We consider your home to be unoccupied when it is not lived in and not used overnight by you or your family for more than 60 days in a row."

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back