Type of internal stop cock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
Hope you could help me.
I am looking a replacement for old internal mains stop cock (SC).
Please see it on picture:View media item 73433 I am a bit puzzled about the type of the old SC: is it female / male or male/male? The output thread is male type for 15 mm pipe.The input pipe is 20mm diameter. My first thought was that the SC has a female input thread ( m.b. 1/2"?). However, I am not so sure while there is no visible thread of the input pipe...
Thanks

Sponsored Links
That is a really old pattern stop cock. I would suggest the installation at that point is imperial not metric

Clean off the paint to the incoming pipe - I am guessing you will find it is black and if so you may have an old polythene 1/2" supply coming in and a 1/2" copper out. (The supply is bigger due to the thick plastic walls). It would be a compression connection both ends with a liner pushed into the plastic pipe end.

If the incoming pipe is black you are going to need an adapter to 15mm copper, then a 15mm x 15mm stopcock.

A Kuterlite K1710KP is one adapter that would probably do it if the pipe is black. -( Only likely to be available at a few merchants )

If then connecting to old pipework you could well end up with a 1/2" copper x 15mm copper coupler (solder connection) or simply use a 15mm compression coupler that will take both 15mm and 1/2"

Use an adjustable spanner on the bigger pipe like a caliper to measure the diameter once you have the paint off.

- The input pipe is black under the paint and it's 21.5mm external diameter.

Thank you very much for your explanation and link.

Sponsored Links
Please note you will not be able to fit the stop cock the other poster linked to because that is for more modern supplies.

You need will need to get the adapter I referred to first then work in 15mm copper.

http://www.mytub.co.uk/kut-k1710kp-straight-coupling-1-2x15-product-571712

I would first try fitting the above adapter using the existing big stop tap compression nut and olive. i.e replace the body of the stop cock with the body of the adapter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back