stop hose kinking?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

At my local cricket club there are some pitch covers with hoses to drain the water away to the outfield. The hoses (31 mm external diameter, 25 mm internal) are fixed to an outlet on the gutter with a jubilee clip, like this. When the covers aren't in use the hoses are stored on top of the covers, like this. The hose can get badly kinked where it joins the water outlet. (The hoses are PVC not corrugated ones on the second picture.) This means when the covers are in use the water doesn't pass through the kinked hose, the gutters fill with water and soon overflow.

Any suggestions how to avoid, or reduce, the kinking of the hoses please? The hoses have to be stored on top of the covers really, and won't always be put there with the utmost care. The cheaper the solution the better.

Thanks in advance,

wrathkeg

Sponsored Links
Consider using reinforced plastic tubing - the stuff with the nylon cord within the core? It doesn't tend to kink, and its easy enough to join to ordinary hose with a length of copper pipe and some jubilee clips.
John :)

Ah, nice idea to use something a bit sturdier but still with a bit of give where it connects to cover. Thanks. Not sure where I can get the sort of thing you describe though. I wonder if something like a washer outlet hose might work....

Also wondering whether wrapping duct tape around the first 30 cm or so of the hose might make it sufficiently sturdy to resist kinking...

Sponsored Links
The stuff I use is off the roll from B&Q.....it must have an internal diameter around 22mm because that's what I use to join it!
Another school of thought - maybe it could be strengthened by wrapping single strand copper wire around the kinking area or even sliding a length of plastic drain pipe over the same.
I would have thought that washing machine hose would also work reasonably well, although it does kink if bent too far.
John :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions. I've located some 32mm waste pipe so I will try a short length of that over the kinked area close to the outlet next time I'm at the club. The thing I am a bit concerned about is that it might just lead to a kink at the end of the waste pipe, but it will be quick and cheap (free) to try. Then onto the other suggestions if necessary.

A spring of suitable dimension inserted at the outlet would prevent kinking but only for the length of the spring.

Replace the first meter with corrugated hose that's designed to be bent without kinking perhaps?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back