Stop Tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am going on holiday for a while so i was wondering if i should close our stop tap. Will the central heating still work?

The tap looks quite old but I think it may be ok to turn it.

Is it advisable to close a stop tap for a holiday?

Regards,

Sponsored Links
It's a good idea to use them once a year or so so you know they work. But they can give trouble. Don't do it when the cab for the airport is arriving, after a 10 year gap!
The boiler won't mind, and it could save a leak, but what are the chances?

It's a good idea to use them once a year or so so you know they work. But they can give trouble. Don't do it when the cab for the airport is arriving, after a 10 year gap!
The boiler won't mind, and it could save a leak, but what are the chances?

Chris,

The vendor used it when he left the house to us three months ago.

IMHO shutting it would prevent a leak upstream but who is to say the tap itself would not start leaking after two days :rolleyes:
Tap is on ground floor so at least there would be nothing going through ceiling etc etc.
As a plumber have you witnessed many bursts whilst people have been on holiday?

i have not (been plumbing 5 yrs only).

it could save a problem...but as chris says the chances are slim.

if really worried then the tap to turn is the one in the street..

Sponsored Links
the chances are slim but many years ago i was called to a call out at night by a tenant just back from a two week holiday to complete devastation in their house caused by a wc cistern which had cracked and flooded but because the main was still on it ran for more than a week, (the son/daughter had called in to lift the mail) the insurance assessor later told them that after it had been running for a couple of days there was no more damage that could have been done because everything had to be ripped out and renewed. i must admit if we go away and the house is empty i always switch main stopcock off and open kitchen tap even in summer, it doesn't need to be winter for a leak to happen, think about the amount of calls we get for leaks at supply pipes w/machine hoses etc etc two minutes turns it off and when you come back it takes two minutes to turn back on, nip up the packing gland if req'd, and fill the kettle, chances are slim but mess is horrendous. but it is a very good point not to wait until you are trying to get to the airport

the chances are slim but many years ago i was called to a call out at night by a tenant just back from a two week holiday to complete devastation in their house caused by a wc cistern which had cracked and flooded but because the main was still on it ran for more than a week, (the son/daughter had called in to lift the mail) the insurance assessor later told them that after it had been running for a couple of days there was no more damage that could have been done because everything had to be ripped out and renewed. i must admit if we go away and the house is empty i always switch main stopcock off and open kitchen tap even in summer, it doesn't need to be winter for a leak to happen, think about the amount of calls we get for leaks at supply pipes w/machine hoses etc etc two minutes turns it off and when you come back it takes two minutes to turn back on, nip up the packing gland if req'd, and fill the kettle, chances are slim but mess is horrendous. but it is a very good point not to wait until you are trying to get to the airport

thanks for the response.

which way do i turn it to close? Anti-clockwise?

tried closing it but it does not close completely leaving water dribbling out.
It does not shut completely, where do i go from here?

If it needs changing could a new st be installed upstream of the existing one?

Hi all,

I am going on holiday for a while so i was wondering if i should close our stop tap. Will the central heating still work?

The tap looks quite old but I think it may be ok to turn it.

Is it advisable to close a stop tap for a holiday?

Regards,

Leave it alone, it`s never done you any harm, has it bothered you all the time you have been there? Let it be & go enjoy.

i leave mine on when i go away, might turn it off if the mrs doesnt come with me :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back