Stop the Yachts

enough said.

There is a valid argument about the consumption of very large leisure craft, the fuel they consume, the pollution the space etc. But nobody will listen to this guy.
Well, you have the mic. Give it a shot.

Sponsored Links
There are arguments on both sides. if you look at the Greek islands for example, 20 years ago I was sailing in all the cool spots now occupied by the big boats. You could feed the whole crew for less than £20. Now with the invasion superyachts it’s £20 for a starter.

But the locals are no longer poor and there are plenty of jobs for people. There is also no shortage of places to go and plenty of spots where a big boat can’t fit.

They do burn a lot of fuel, but then they often don’t go far either, unless they are on the run from Russian sanctions.

It’s not really a size thing. You can get a 40m motor sailboat that will run happily on a 500hp motor and “only” use 30l an hour, when not under sail. According to the above an oyster 100 is a superyacht and equipped with solar panels etc will happily get you many thousands of miles on a few 100l of fuel. You can get a 16M cigarette boat with 6 racing outboards and that will be doing 3 gallons a minute. It will go 90-95% as fast with just 3. So the extra 3 motors are pointless (just for acceleration).

What is probably needed is for people to feel a bit guilty when they massively over engine their boat.

Last edited:
It’s not really a size thing. You can get a 40m motor sailboat that will run happily on a 500hp motor and “only” use 30l an hour, when not under sail. According to the above an oyster 100 is a superyacht and equipped with solar panels etc will happily get you many thousands of miles on a few 100l of fuel. You can get a 16M cigarette boat with 6 racing outboards and that will be doing 3 gallons a minute. It will go 90-95% as fast with just 3. So the extra 3 motors are pointless (just for acceleration).

My first yacht had a 10hp single cylinder volvo MD1 engine, 2 jerry cans of red diesel at 5 quid each pretty much lasted me the year. Bloke next to me on the pontoon had a Sealine (24 or 26 feet), don't know what engine he had but a weekend on the Isle of Wight then back to Poole would set him back about £250.

The superyacht industry itself cares “more and more”, according to Michael Breman, sales director, Lurssen. “We have a customer who is building a boat with us [114.2m Project Cosmos] that has a hydrogen fuel cell based on methanol, which will be launched in 2025,” Breman tells Superyacht Investor. “That’s a first. That’s a sign there are people willing to take steps to develop new technology and take us away from the fossil-based economy.”

Feadship is also on a journey to build a carbon-neutral superyacht by 2030, driven by “significant social pressure” and a need to position the business for the future, says Giedo Loeff, head of R&D. Over the lifetime of a superyacht, 94% of its emissions will come from fuel used for propulsion and the hotel load, with 4% from upstream and 2% from their production, says Loeff. “We as a market are not going to change that. It’s happening so we are adjusting our designs but we need to remain flexible so those yachts will still be able to run on diesel or non-fossil fuel because they still need to be able to sail around the globe and go to Polynesia or wherever.”

Establishing an energy rating for yachts in the same way that exists for cars will be one way of helping owners make informed choices, and SYBAss is working with others in the industry to come to an ISO standard for this. The Water Revolution Foundation is also instrumental in working towards a greener future for yachting.

Superyacht Investor.com

I've heard hydrogen fuel cells are one way of powering EV's but how well would they work in a bloody big boat?

Sponsored Links
There are a couple of ferries already in service. But the range is not where it would need to be.
Hybrids and foiling will probably make a bigger difference.

If you can get the hull out of the water the fuel consumption drops dramatically.

626353e0-a0a8-11ed-b719-9b4063d5a4ef-White%20Rabbit.jpg

Uses almost half the power of an equivalent vessel.

Then we have this nice ketch.. Which can sail happily despite being near 100M

Last edited:
There are a couple of ferries already in service. But the range is not where it would need to be.
Hybrids and foiling will probably make a bigger difference.

If you can get the hull out of the water the fuel consumption drops dramatically.
Would hydrofoils be suitable for larger vessels, such as cruise ships, though?
It seems to me there'd be a size limit to that sort of technology, although a hybrid engine design sounds more suitable.

You can achieve some of the benefits by "blowing bubbles" under the hull. This is known as a Hull Air Lubrication System. I think Mitsubishi marine invented it. It's basically a big jacuzzi that blows air under the hull which significantly reduces drag. (water being 7 times denser than air).

Any non-planing vessel has a maximum speed "hull speed" which is defined, not by how much HP you have, but by the displaced length and width. You can double to triple the power and it wont go any faster.

You can achieve some of the benefits by "blowing bubbles" under the hull. This is known as a Hull Air Lubrication System. I think Mitsubishi marine invented it. It's basically a big jacuzzi that blows air under the hull which significantly reduces drag. (water being 7 times denser than air).

Any non-planing vessel has a maximum speed "hull speed" which is defined, not by how much HP you have, but by the displaced length and width. You can double to triple the power and it wont go any faster.

Air Lubrication System is a method to reduce the resistance between the ship’s hull and seawater using air bubbles. The air bubble distribution across the hull surface reduces the resistance working on the ship’s hull, creating energy-saving effects. With the right ship hull design, the air lubrication system is expected to achieve up to 10-15% reduction of CO2 emissions, along with significant savings of fuel.

• The Air Lubrication System (ALS) until now can only be used for certain types of ships having flat bottoms. Ships having V-shaped hulls, such as certain warships or recreational vessels might not be able to reap the benefits of the air lubrication system.
  • It is also feared that the air cavities made for trapping the air bubbles would affect the handling and stability of the ship at the sea. If true this can cause difficulty to the ship and the crew especially in rough seas.

Did they get the idea from dolphins, i wonder?

I miss the jet foil holyhead to dun laoghaire, absolute beast, but fuel costs got it mothballed. The tories could have done more to sanction russsian super yachts, you get the feeling they have something on them. But even the daily fail thinks brexhit is to blame.

We are starting to see a return to sailing for cargo too. (concept)

csm_airbus_airseas_615a801393.webp

I miss the jet foil holyhead to dun laoghaire, absolute beast, but fuel costs got it mothballed. The tories could have done more to sanction russsian super yachts, you get the feeling they have something on them. But even the daily fail thinks brexhit is to blame.

I can't see how we can seize a vessel in international/foreign waters?

I recall tracking Abramovich's yacht when it legged it from the BVI's to turkey, The skipper kept it in international waters all the way. Our only chance would have been the straights of Gibraltar. From a proximity point of view the "EU" has about 500 times the opportunity to snatch yachts as the vast majority hang out in the Mediterranean

I can't see how we can seize a vessel in international/foreign waters?

I recall tracking Abramovich's yacht when it legged it from the BVI's to turkey, The skipper kept it in international waters all the way. Our only chance would have been the straights of Gibraltar. From a proximity point of view the "EU" has about 500 times the opportunity to snatch yachts as the vast majority hang out in the Mediterranean
Thats another brexhit dis benefit then.

We are starting to see a return to sailing for cargo too. (concept)

csm_airbus_airseas_615a801393.webp
The top picture looks like one of those old steamships crossing the Atlantic.
It's interesting to see new designs incorporating old technology with modern materials.
But like wind power on land, you'll need the right conditions to use it.

In many countries, the rich have been seeing their wealth taxed less in recent decades, as politicians argue that less taxing will allow corporations to hire more employees, prompt more labour competition and raise average wages, eventually allowing more wealth to trickle down to the ordinary person. According to Oxfam data on countries belonging to the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), the average tax rates on the richest people have fallen from 58 percent in 1980 to 42 percent at present. Elon Musk, founder of Tesla and owner of X, formerly Twitter, paid a “true tax rate” of around 3 percent between 2014 and 2018.

In 2017, former US President Donald Trump promised Americans that his Tax Cuts and Jobs Act would deliver benefits for the working class. The act aimed to slash corporate tax from 35 percent to about 20 percent for big organisations. Trump delivered $1.5m in tax cuts, the biggest corporate tax cut in US history. However, in their book, The Triumph of Injustice – How the Rich Dodge Taxes and How to Make Them Pay, economists Emmanuel Saez and Gabriel Zucman found that in 2018, the 400 wealthiest families in the US paid an average tax rate of 23 percent in 2018, while the poorest households paid taxes at a rate of 24.2 percent, higher than the richest people.

A yearly 5 percent wealth tax, Oxfam said, could help mobilise up to $1.7 trillion to address humanitarian crises around the world, and support countries bearing the brunt of climate change.

Trickle down theory has been so debunked by every sane economist yet it sells like hot cakes to the well trained masses fed on a diet of right wing press and social media.

Rich people become rich not by selling to other rich people but by ordinary people buying their goods and services.

Sponsored Links
Back