Stopcock does not work

Ok, I think that this calls for someone with more of a clue than I have- could anyone estimate what a plumber would charge me to replace this with a brand spanking new functional stopcock?

Sponsored Links
That is knackered.

Looks like the gland nut (the whitish crusty bit) is seized onto the spindle, and turning with it. It shouldn't. Compare the 2 pics.

Well overdue for replacement!

Sponsored Links
Ok, great, more than happy to pay that sort of money to make sure I don't fill the flat with water.

Best to find the stoptap before calling a plumber, or will a plumber be able to find a stoptap easily when they turn up?

Ok, I have had a bit more of a poke around.

We have two soil stacks it would appear, one that runs down the outside of the building that the two dunnies feed into, and one that runs down the inside of the building that the sink, basin and bath feed into.

The pipe from the tank on the roof runs down next to this soil stack, and the mains water appears to run up next to it.

I would hope that there will be a manhole cover/access hatch at the base of the wall that the "clean" stack runs inside.

I'll go and have a look under the snow tomorrow when it's light outside.

Is this typical by the way- i.e. am I barking up the right tree?

I spoke to the managing agent for the block, there is one external stopcock for all 64 flats.

It's at the foot of the drive somewhere, under a manhole cover.

I also spoke to a plumber about coming to replace the stopcock, he recommended freezing the pipe if possible (£15) and then replacing it myself (£15) as the £30 it would cost is a lot less than his minimum callout of £150.

How much pipe do I need to have access to in order to freeze is "properly", i.e. in a way that is not going to shoot a plug of ice out of the pipe at high speed and then fill my neighbours flat with water?

I remember once having to turn off an (old type) metal stopcock in the street. Couple of gentle turns with a stopcock key and whoosh - a fountain. The old types can fracture if they are already weak.

Thames water didn't seem to mind - they were grateful for the phone call to come out and replace it.

Although I can't remember exactly how I worded the phone call.....

What post code are you in? There might be someone on here who can help you. £150 call-out is a pi$$ take.

Andy

if you are going to freeze it, i'd suggest hiring an electric freezer - more like £60. if the plug melts because you run out of gas while you're struggling to get the fitting on or go shopping cos you needsomething you don't have to hand, you'll be stuffed.

either that or do it at 3am when you might get away with shutting all 64 flats off ;)

The chap I spoke to sounded like a decent guy- the £150 was because where I live (SE23) is not his area and he'd have to travel a way. He'd be happy to do half a days work for that money, if I had some more jobs.

I would prefer to sort this for less mind!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back