StopCock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, I had a washing machine installed the other day and so the stopcock had to be turned off, now today I have to have new taps and cannot switch the stopcock off, it did turn at first so I ran the taps, water did not stop... so went to turn it again and it will not budge now, and its leaking...Help! :confused:

Sponsored Links
see if you can find the one in the pavement outside ....and turn that off :idea:

Sponsored Links
julieanddan said:
But I want to sort out the internal one. It was working.

you need a new tap

do what he said turn off the supply outside (small black flap sometimes cast iron)

you should be able to reach it without an extesion bar

then replace your internal stopcock

its very easy just dont overtighten the compression joints

its allways best (if you are not used to plumbing) to undertighten slightly then turn on supply and tighten as needed

use belts and braces on stopcocks

ie ptfe and waterproof jointing compound

that way it will never bother you again

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

oh and of course remove the old olives there are tools that do this or just carefuly hacksaw them off

thats if they dont slide off (just FFS dont kink the pipe when removeing them or else you will have to replace that as well)

it is true you can get away with leaving the old ones on and re useing the nuts from the old tap but i wouldnt personaly

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
http://www.abbeypowertools.co.uk/electrical-plumbing/general-tools/showitem-11046-76171.aspx

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back