Stopcock not sopping water flow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I had a stopcock that was stiff so I WD40'd it over the weekend and it now turns but not to stop the water. I have looked up in a book about changing the washer and putting PTFE tape in the glad, but every picture I see is different to my tap. Mine is the same colour (yellowish/brownish) but has a straight cut screw in the 'handle' - bit you turn. Do I treat as the same ie turn gland and remove, change washer.
Its behind a cupboard so I'm going to have to cut the cupboard away because only the handle bit pokes out into the cupboard
The mains can be turned off in my drive way, so no problem there
Thanks everyone

Sponsored Links
Does the handle stop turning suddenly? Or hard to turn off?

Try turning anti-clockwise and clockwise many time, might help if you loose up packing gland a bit and keep turning, a plier will help but not too tight otherwise you will snap the handle

Daniel.

Sponsored Links
Pre-test the outside drive shut-off before doing anything else to the internal stop cock.

What materials are the incoming water supply and the internal stop cock - metal or plastic?

Why not think about re-arranging either the position of the stop-cock or the base unit so that access is not a difficulty in future?

Often stop-cocks are compression fittings, so why not at least fit a new stop-cock while doing any of the above.

the stopcock is metal and from the bottom water comes from a much larger lead pipe and above goes into a 15mm copper pipe. I have lived in the house 22 years and the kitchen is way older. You would have to remove the sink unit and cupboard next to it, worktop and bottom row of tiles to get to it, so I can safely say it is old because they haven't moved since the 60's I think

I planned to get a new kitchen in August but have had to shelve it because of funds, so maybe next year. If I do I will move to just under the sink

Fair enough, perhaps you are due for a lottery win?

In the meantime, you must test the access and effectiveness of the outside stop-cock - you might need it at any time.

FWIW: when the renovation takes place and the lead supply is replaced you should up the connecting rising main to at least 22mm.

Further FWIW: some water companies might still replace a lead supply for free - check it out?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back