Stopcock Seized- cost for replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

This is my first post on what seems a very helpful forum!

Can anyone given me an estimate to replace a seized stopcock. It is accessible enough, in the cupboard under the kitchen sink. Tried everything, spanners, WD40 wrenches the lot. The only thing I have succeeded in doing is nearly breaking my wrist :oops:

So, what would the cost be, in the Preston, Lancs area??

thanks in advance

Dan

Sponsored Links
I know you are only asking, but see 9 here

you could always turn incoming mains off and cut pipe/tap out replace whole lot

Sponsored Links
probably wont work

an old trick to try and break the bond is to try and tighten slightly
[in this case open slightly]first then loosen

as i say probably wont work but worth a try :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

big all

It entirely depends on the situation. If you have an easy-to turn stopcock on the pavement (as with a meter) the whole job could take 5 minutes. If not, and pipes are lead to iron, then could be a couple of hours if you have to freeze etc. So £30 to £200+.

which is why i said see 9 in the first place.

but does any one listen?

as i have said and will say, we should not give "ball park" prices to anyone for anything.

Look at it, it has gone from £30 to £55 to £165 to £200

I know people only want ball park figure, but it depends on location of job, access to job, materials, time yak yak yak yak,

so please gentlemen a ball park figure which some one will rely on has gone up almost 700%, I ask all of you not to give prices of any description but to say why you shouldn't

but does any one listen?

Not to someone from Belgium :D

as i have said and will say, we should not give "ball park" prices to anyone for anything.

I want my ball back or I'll tell my dad!

Look at it, it has gone from £30 to £55 to £165 to £200

Obviously not patriotic or you'd have changed it to francs. :D

so please gentlemen.........

That lets me out then.

I ask all of you not to give prices of any description but to say why you shouldn't

You seem to want the mantle of the fat controller (toot toot). What is your position in DIYnot? Moderator? Censor? Shareholder? Come on breezer, introduce yourself and we can shake hands.

The reason if have mentioned the previous is:

people come here for help, and ask "how much is"

1) Some one will reply with a price (as i already mentioned the latest price has gone up by 700%) now what use is that? answer NONE what so ever, the reasoning behind the price was true, but the fact it went up 700% would amount to a rip off, if it were mentioned on here.

2) Some will ask "i only want a ball park figure" what for? the only reason you want a ball park figure is because you are going to use it for referance / yard stick. What if (likely) ball park figure is way out?

3) Not all information is given by person enquiring, like the stopcock, it started at £30 then as was pointed out some one had to take "other stuff" out of the way to access stopcock to change it, so price went up acordingly, with which i agree, but point is does person who is asking about problem have lots of "stuff in the way" that they are not mentioning now.

We have seen similar in electrics, you sometimes find out all of what happened 4 posts after inital enquiry.

4) Geography. It depends where enquirer is as to how much it will cost, and unless you are in that area you do not know

5) This forum has a good reputation, it is becuse it is neat / tidy gives good advise, but we wont be by giving prices that with all intent are true, but in reality are not.
(for reasons i have already mentioned)

6) me and diynot you figure how much of it i own

I don't agree Breezer (whoever you are)

"has gone up by 700%) now what use is that?
answer NONE what so ever,"

Is in my view, the wrong answer.

Perhaps the enquirer will come back telling us whether the replies have been useful??

ChrisR said:
I don't agree Breezer (whoever you are)

"has gone up by 700%) now what use is that?
answer NONE what so ever,"

Is in my view, the wrong answer.

Perhaps the enquirer will come back telling us whether the replies have been useful??

you are right its not 700% its 650+ %

how can the replies with money be useful? they can't that is what i am saying, we should NOT mention money, for reasons i already mentioned

perhaps some one could put forward points as to why we should give prices / ball park figures, i have given my reasons for why we shouldn't. Who wants to take the "we should" side of the coin

He might not find the figures alone useful but he has been given a lot more than that about the reasons, so will be able to make his own judgement.

I'm not suggesting we should give a figure with no explanation but that is not what is happening.

"how can the replies with money be useful?"
they have to be read in their entirety, not just focussing on the figures.

I agree that answers
"£30"
or
"£30 to anything"
Aren't much use.

I do not agree that figures have to be left out.

I think we should give an idea of the cost work, example, it's pretty obvious to us good guys trying to do the right thing that if someone is given a quote for £800.00 to supply and fit a combi on an old existing system with five bedrooms that one, it is going to be the cheapest boiler on the market, two obviously not flushed and three, not brought up to current Part L regs, plus any other cost cutting corner cutting measure you can think of, also at the other end of the sclale if someone comes on saying they have been quoted £3500.00 to supply and fit a Jaguar combi as a straight swop for there existing house with one bedroom then I think we should say it sounds dear and to shop around.

I think pedantic........... has made some good points.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back