stopping condensation on alkathene pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

The mains water comes into my house under a tarmac drive about a foot to the left of the front door step which is granite.

The left hand end of the step gets damp in certain weather. Not soaking but you clearly see the 'patch' and if you touch it can feel its moisture.

After several trips under the floor hatch at the front door nothing is wet or damp except the underneath of the step and where I can push my hand out through where the Alkathene pipe comes in. I cant see its through a stone hole etc its impossible to fully see whats going on.

Ive been told that Alkathene pipe puts out a lot of condensation is this true?

I think the step might be sooking up the condensation and through osmosis coming out the top. The other materials are a tar drive right up to the foundation wall, concrete foundation stone effect render and then cement harling so the only breathable material there is the granite.

Is there anything I can do to stop it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
if it really is condensation, and not a leak, and not rainwater, you can expose the pipe and slide Climaflex or similar pipe insulation round it.

It might be a bad joint.

Alkathene is a variety of polythene and, unlike copper or steel pipe, is not a good conductor and does not get much condensation.

Does the tarmac drive allow rainwater to pool by the house?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back