Storage heater Bricks

STI

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I apologise up front for this question as its not strictly electrical.
I am about to remove 7 storage heaters. although I am offering them for sale, ebay does not seem to sell many.
So in the interest of upcycling :eek: can I use the bricks as lining for a wood oven in the garden, should I have the inclination to build one.

Sponsored Links
Thanks TTC, I had worked on the basis they are only 4 years old so would be asbestos free. They are all dimplex XLN's, so not on the list anyway. DOH!

Actually a search on completed auction sales of storage heaters within 15 miles of B1 shows some fairly good prices being obtained.

If you can offer local delivery that would make them more appealing.

Sponsored Links
While the bricks can be heated to the temperature of an element that is glowing red hot they are designed for slow heating and cooling.

They may not cope with rapid and un-even heating and the resultant mechanical stresses from un-even thermal expansion. This stress could cause them to shatter.

But no harm in trying them in the wood stove but keep an eye on them at first.

The bricks are not pure clay or concrete but have a very high iron content to hold the heat so not suitable for any structural strength but will clearly store heat. Used them to fill an oven in a wood stove which resulted in heat still coming from the stove some hours after the fire had gone out.

Ericmark, so to use them as a lining for a homemade pizza oven or even better for slow roasting joints seems feasible

Not really, if I was to make a wood oven I would have to buy fire bricks, As I have 7 storage heaters that will produce about 40 bricks I wanted to reuse them rather than just add to landfill.
The logs round here are pretty much free, since the recent storms and a slow roasted leg of lamb from a wood oven is just perfect.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back