Storage heater charge controller not clicking on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I live in a flat with 2 storage heaters on the Economy 7 tariff.

1 of my storage heaters is not working, its a Robinson Willey RW14/494/6. I have another smaller heater in the hall way which I turned on last night before bed and was hot this morning.

I noticed that the charge control on the smaller heater made a click when it was turned about halfway to full. The larger one doesn't do this.

Can anyone point me in the right direction about how I can fix this? Is it a simple controller switch that needs replacing?

Also, there are 2 wall switches next to each of the heaters. 1 with a fuse holder but NO wire coming out of it, another wall switch without a fuse but with a wire attached to the heater. I used the 2nd switch only on the smaller heater. Therefore, what the hell is the fused switch for if it is not connected to any wire and does not affect the other wall switch operating the heater?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Craig

Sponsored Links
I noticed that the charge control on the smaller heater made a click when it was turned about halfway to full. The larger one doesn't do this.
Was that when the smaller was hot and larger cold?

Can anyone point me in the right direction about how I can fix this?
Not yet. You need to determine where along the circuit the power stops.
Do you have a multimeter?

Is it a simple controller switch that needs replacing?
Could be. Maybe not.

Also, there are 2 wall switches next to each of the heaters. 1 with a fuse holder but NO wire coming out of it, another wall switch without a fuse but with a wire attached to the heater. I used the 2nd switch only on the smaller heater. Therefore, what the hell is the fused switch for if it is not connected to any wire and does not affect the other wall switch operating the heater?
Something which is no longer there.

what the hell is the fused switch for if it is not connected to any wire and does not affect the other wall switch operating the heater?
Fused switches can have a wire coming out of them to feed an adjacent appliance (like a heater). Sometimes the output of the fused switch goes somewhere else, to some other device. To determine this, you would need to look inside the switchg and see if there is a cable connected to the load side of the fused switch.

Sponsored Links
Was that when the smaller was hot and larger cold?

Both cold, I turned the charge control around 8pm to about 75% on both. That's when I noticed 1 clicked and 1 didn't.

Not yet. You need to determine where along the circuit the power stops.
Do you have a multimeter?

Unfortunately I do not, I think my dad has one at his place, unfortunately I can't get there until the weekend.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back