Storage heater heat loss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Manufacturers warn against covering storage heaters at all times. However, since much of its heat is lost during the day after the "Economy" charging 7 hours, by the time night comes and the room temperature has dropped, the core is cooler than one would wish. I can see no safety problem in insulating the SH after the charge period with some sort of simple cover, which does not interfere with any grid in the casing, before removing it in the evening and thus benefiting from a higher core temperature when heat is in greatest need. Am I missing something?

Sponsored Links
If the heater cools too quickly, then either it's undersized, one or more of the heating elements have failed, or the metal flap inside which covers the vent to the core is jammed open, or the output control has been left on maximum.

Covering it with anything is not a solution, and will result in the heater failing or a fire.

Thanks! I am grateful for your warning; particularly re safety. i should be equally grateful to know how combustion may take place when the heating phase is over and when the heater's surface temperature is below the point of ignition of the (potential) covering material. I really appreciate your attention.

Sponsored Links
Let's imagine you get in the habit of covering and removing the insulation as you say.

One day something will cause you to forget.

A breakdown on a journey, an emergency at friends or relatives - even going away on holiday and the excitement of the departure.

If there is a possibility of it going wrong, it will go wrong. That's life!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back