Storage Heater Radial to Socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm in the process of removing all the old storage heaters and replacing them.

Each one was powered by its own radial circuit from a dedicated CU in the basement with one 100A breaker for all.

Is it safe to terminate that radial with a double socket after removing the storage heater?

Sponsored Links
Probably, a couple of things to consider - the socket might only come on when the off peak supply is present. The socket won't be RCD protected either - is it likely to be used to supply portable equipment outdoors?

Hi Spark123,

Its on the second floor so it wont be used to power outdoor equipment, good point about the off peak supply, I didn't think of that! Ill do some investigating.

The main CU is a little old so there is no RCD protection on any of the circuits, I wanted to make sure that putting a socket on a circuit protected by a just an overcurrent device with such a high rating was acceptable.

In any case the socket will be marked so anyone doing work in the future will know that one socket is on a different circuit.

Thanks for your help!

EDIT: One more question, if I wanted to downsize the cable to 2.5 (from 4) via a choc box/junction box, I know that wouldnt technically be against regs but how bad a practice is that? Is it just not a great idea, or a real no no?
I know it sounds pretty silly with the protection it has at the moment but then if a situation arose where the full 100 ended up being pulled the 4mm wouldnt be able to handle that anyway.

Are you saying that the only protection for you off peak circuits is a 100A fuse??

Please post a picture of your off peak CU!!

Sponsored Links
Hi Nozspark, you were right to be skeptical ive done some investigating and this is what I have:

-Its not just a 100A fuse, some bright spark (no pun intended) had the idea of making a fuse holder with the ratings in black on a dark green background, so of course in my dimly lit basement I couldnt see any indication of what it was and took it to be a blank. :rolleyes:

As it is its a 15A fuse for each of the heaters.

-Spark123, the CU is off peak but I called the electric company and they are going to put it on normal rates so it will be on 24/7 now.

Heres my question, I want to power an outside set of lights and pump (permanent installation) aswell as the socket I mentioned in the original post, obviously I dont want one 15A fuse to protect that, so can I replace the 15A fuse with a 30A RCD and use that as a socket radial circuit to power the new socket and the pump/lights?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back