Electric Storage Heaters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My friend and her daughter have electric storage heaters, and the kitchen one doesn't work (never has since she's lived there). It would be nice to get it working as the child is only 3, and the kitchen is freezing!

I checked the power on the live side of the switch, and there is 0v.

Obviously the storage heaters use a radial circuit, and all the others work fine.

What could the main reasons be for power not getting to this one heater?
1. Damaged cable - Although I think the circuit is on a RCD, so this should trip it?
2. The wire could have physically not been put in the MCB/Fall out.
3. Anything else?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
With my fluke multi meter.

But as for time, 4pm. Which now you have said that, the reason for 0v will be due to them being on a timer, and probably only 'on' around midnight!

But as for time, 4pm. Which now you have said that, the reason for 0v will be due to them being on a timer, and probably only 'on' around midnight!

Correct!

A warning, first of all.

ALL TESTS SHOULD BE DONE WITH THE POWER TURNED OFF AT THE MAIN SWITCH. Do not rely on the off peak times being correct!!.
It is quite possible for the off peak board to power up at any time.

As the other rads work OK, a daytime activity might be to carry out a continuity test from the off peak fuse board to the non-functioning storage radiator. That test should include continuity of the fuse/mcb.
That would test the fixed wiring.

The next step would be to test from the input terminals and trace through the wiring and functioning items in the storage radiator. There are not too many parts. Typical items that go faulty are the thermostat and the heating element.

Many stroage radiators have an overheat protection mechanism. That is the most likely culprit. Some models have a little button that needs to be pressed to reset the rad. Some have a link that melts if the rad has got too hot (usually because someone has draped something over the radiator).

As I say, all of these can be tested, using a continuity tester/multimeter. Once you've done that then you might like to wait up until silly o'clock to see if the volts come on, but I wouldn't!

Sponsored Links
Thanks a lot for the help :)

Where are the timers usually located for the heaters? Near the DB?

Thanks

word of warning though,
I used to find that,if the heaters not been used for some time and you do get it working, they sometimes give off fumes and odours for a while.
This is quite normal though
so be aware if your gonna sleep there that night.

The timers usually by the meter but is not your property to tamper with and usually sealed

Or the timer may be a separate box that gets its time from a radio signal. A picture of your meter(s) and fuse boxes may help

Or the complete jigsaw puzzle that has been posted through the top grills and results in a fire and a Sunday morning call-out :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back