Storage Heaters - not up to it

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have storage heaters (on Economy7) all through the house, and at the moment with temps around -3 to +4 degrees, they simply aren't up to the job. A couple downstairs have a manual heating element that can warm things up but obviously cost a bomb to run on daytime electricity. The ones upstairs even on maximum input and minimum output just leave the rooms cold in the afternoons/evenings.

They look old to me - Dimplex (I think the XL model). They do get hot - too hot to touch in the mornings, but the room temp is around 15 degrees or less come evening.

Is it worth getting them serviced - can that improve their efficiency - or is it more likely I need to replace them with more modern devices?

thanks

Sponsored Links
The basis of the storage radiator is it heats up at night and lets the heat out during the day. The heat is stored in fire bricks in the rad.
They were designed to keep the house warm during the day and for you to go to bed by 8:30pm. Not so good if you are out all day and then stay up watching Road Wars until 2:30am.

If you buy new ones you'll still be doing the same thing (but with new bricks!)

Usually there are two controls. One is the input heat adjustment and the other is to control the heat output. Try having a play with those to see if u can improve things.

You could look at a different tariff that gives you a few hours of cheaper rate electric in the afternoon. Economy 10 eg
see http://www.heatandcool.co.uk/13.html

I have storage heaters (on Economy7) all through the house, and at the moment with temps around -3 to +4 degrees, they simply aren't up to the job. A couple downstairs have a manual heating element that can warm things up but obviously cost a bomb to run on daytime electricity. The ones upstairs even on maximum input and minimum output just leave the rooms cold in the afternoons/evenings.
Welcome to the Wonderful World of Stowage Wadiators...

Is it worth getting them serviced - can that improve their efficiency - or is it more likely I need to replace them with more modern devices?
Replace them with proper CH.

Replace them with proper CH.

I'd agree with that. That will cost you a few grand though probably. Fair enough if you're going to be there for the next 20 years. And if money is an issue, long-term, electric heating is not ideal. As you are cold in the evening, a combination storage/convection heater would work. Trouble is, they cost about £300 each and run at about 2000W. Check out dimplex.co.uk

Also check out economy 10, as this will be the cheapest option in the short term.

Sponsored Links
Is it worth getting them serviced - can that improve their efficiency

Probably not, unless one or more of the elements have failed (the symptom of which would be not heating up properly overnight).

Before replacing with other types of heating, check the insulation in your house - upgrading the insulation will be far cheaper than new heating. Plus, if your insulation is poor, new heating will still cost far more to run than necessary.

Thanks guys - it's rented so the insulation / GCH isn't within my powers, but will check out the E10

Rob

You ar mant to put the output on minimum as you go to bed, and leave it there all day until you need extra heat in the evening. You then open this control up which opens a damper and lets more heat out.

Keeping this control closed during the day prolongs the heat.

Still not a great way to heat a home.

I'd seriously consider cavity wall insulation if you don't yet have it. Your electricity supplier should give you a grant towards this, so check their website. We have gas ch, but the insulation fitted in the autumn makes a huge difference. It might make a big difference in the case of storage heaters efficiency too - and a LOT cheaper than renewing them.

Edit: - Oh - I see insulaion has been mentioned already. If you are planning to stay there for a while, talk to the landlord as it would be in his interests to have it done too

Tell your landlord he can get approx £500 rebate/grant for having full electric heating taken out and gas ch put in, and he doesn't have to lift a finger to claim it. The gas ch installer gets it automatically for him.

It may help sway his mind ;)

Nice idea Dave but there isn't even gas to the property - so I'd imagine it is thousands to run gas to here in the first place...

You can also have an oil tank in the garden, a gas tank underground, or propane cylinders.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back