Storage Heaters on Econ 7 not working

So took covers off and checked again for reset... none present!
So will see what dimplex say...

Sponsored Links
This one? It's not your model but anyway -

1391541201.jpg

Sponsored Links
I keep coming back to this.

At the start the OP said
ALL of his storage heaters have stopped working, (in that they are not heating up).

so, for them all to stop working due to termal trip or internal fault, someone would have to have hung clothes over all of the radiators and they mysteriously will have each and every one developed the same fault at the same time.

I don't think so. Cancel the Dimplex guy and save your money.

Not sure if they were touching, i tried to move the white pin, but it didn't move. If i had figured out this was the reset at the time i would have spent more time on it :( .

Taylor - problem for the actual user is he's currently using 1 oil radiator to heat the flat! He assures me that no cloths are being hung but besides that he still needs to get heating back up and running. If i order all the possible parts for 3 rads, each rad will be somewhere between £121.84 and £137.09
if i order 1 part try it, order next part etc, it will be weeks before heating gets up and running...

Dimplex - or home appliance care who does the after warrant work quote £139 per rad fixed price - however they called this morning and said they cant do the work as the rads are too old?? They stop servicing old rads as they cant get parts - which i know is rubbish as the link from EFLImpudence's post has the parts!

Taylor - problem for the actual user is he's currently using 1 oil radiator to heat the flat! He assures me that no cloths are being hung but besides that he still needs to get heating back up and running. If i order all the possible parts for 3 rads, each rad will be somewhere between £121.84 and £137.09
if i order 1 part try it, order next part etc, it will be weeks before heating gets up and running...
\

THINK

How is it possible for all THREE rads to develop a fault at the same time??
It cannot be fault(s) with the individual radiators.

If you have checked continuity from the supply side of the off peak board to the rads then you need to burn the midnight oil and see if there is power going to the rads at night time.

Better still > get the electricity supplier to check the time clock etc etc.

Taylor i understand what you are saying, but the details in my original post were wrong AFTER i spoke to the user on Saturday.

The heaters failed over a period of approx 6 weeks, not at the same time, and he already had E.ON out who have confirmed that the meter side is working.
Which leaves me:
1) from meter to CU -cant really check unless i go in the middle of the night as suggested.
2) CU to Spur - Tested this by powering the circuit from the 24/7 CU and confirmed power to spur
3) Spur to heater - Again tested as part of the test above
4) Heater itself - Given that when power was applied for 2 and 3, the heater did NOT heat up, i can only think that something has gone wrong on the heater side - power is applied but no heat is generated.

So from what i can see, i have a fault at 1 or/and 4.

4 is proven when power is applied to be faulty, 1 hasnt been proven either way.

Surely if i can get the heater working when powered from the 24/7 and it still fails on the eco 7CU, then i can look at that accordingly. Till i can prove the heater is working, its difficult to turn to the DNO and say the meter is dead... esp when they have been round and said its not?

Also note different heaters have different amounts of elements.

It is also unlikely all elements blow, the 18 i think has two elements

the 12 smaller one 1 element and the large 24 three elements.

Also so strange they all develop a similar problem even over a short period of months

strongest suggestion is grills covered by clothes causing the cut out to come in to play.

Also note different heaters have different amounts of elements.

It is also unlikely all elements blow, the 18 i think has two elements

the 12 smaller one 1 element and the large 24 three elements.

Also so strange they all develop a similar problem even over a short period of months

strongest suggestion is grills covered by clothes causing the cut out to come in to play.

Yep you are right - 12 is 1, 18 is 2 and 24 is 3 elements.
and i suspect that clothes is the case but im not gonna argue with my mate over what he has done! - he says he hasn't, and although he probably has he may not admit it - so long as he stops doing it! Esp as he now will be paying for a fix, hopefully he learns!

May well be the cutout - but i couldnt get it to budge - is it a magnet based system? when working normally the white pin is pulled to magnet, when the strip overheats its strong enough to pull it off the magnet? or does it work in another way?

He had a guy go round today - replaced 5 elements in total.

He also said that he needed to change the spur's as they were old and didn't have a light... which i told my mate to decline... I'm sure there's no regs/rules to say you must have a light on the spur to indicate it is on? the marking on the switch should be sufficient?

I'll happily go back and change them for him if someone says i must!

He had a guy go round today - replaced 5 elements in total.
Ok - very unlucky.

I presume that left some which still should have worked.
Have you said how many heaters there are?

He also said that he needed to change the spur's as they were old and didn't have a light... which i told my mate to decline... I'm sure there's no regs/rules to say you must have a light on the spur to indicate it is on? the marking on the switch should be sufficient?
Of course a light is not required.

There are two XT24 ( 4 elements in each) of which 2 in each were faulty
There is one XT18 (3 elements in each) of which 1 was faulty..

Though thinking about this, should the other elements (the ones not faulty) continued working?

If thats the case then it may have been something simple but given he isnt the kind of person to watch and learn, he wont know, and given the engineer charged for 5 elements, he's not going to say that it was just a reset! etc
Live and learn i hope!

Re the light - thought as much!

So I guess it want just the elements (if at all!) But given my mate won't be interested and I'm not there.. so long as it works tonight who knows what the actual problem was!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back