Ecoonmy 7 + Storage Heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Morning wonder if someone can help....

We currently have an Economy 7 meter but I am looking to swap this for a standard rate meter as we only have one storage heater (in the converted loft) and GCH.

I called NPower and they said "can swap it over without replacing but if the storage heater is wired into the night rate then it will not work"

So how do I check if it is or not?

I have checked the meter and it has 4 tails labeled N, N ,L, L.
The meter itself states Rate 1 N, Rate 4 L, both these lead to the fuse board.

The storage heater is connected to a fuse and a timer, removing the wiring cover from the timer and applying an electritions screwdriver shows voltage at all times (not just at time of the night rates)

The heater has a seperate fuse in the fuse box also.

I have attached some pictures, sorry for the poor quality on some.

//www.diynot.com/network/muddytoast/albums/

Sponsored Links
Yes, your heater runs off the board that the rest of the circuits are fed from.

You should be OK.

However, I would make off those dodgy joints to the earth wires better.

Where is the timer?

And where did you stick your screwdriver? :eek:

Why change over though?

You could if you have E7 use appliances at night and get the cheap rate.

:LOL: The timer is upstairs next to the heater, I think it is on one of the pictures.

Thanks for confirming what I thought, but yes some of the electrics are... well interesting.

The past owner of this house was a builder and just 'tried' at the electrics.

We were looking to switch over as the missus doesn't want to put the washing on overnight as it would mean pegging it out or putting it in the dryer first thing in morning and no one likes mornings!

Water Heater is gas so that won't change costs...

Apart from washer / dryer (reasons above) and dish washer (we don't have one) I can't think of a reason to keep Eco 7 except for one storage heater....

We were looking to switch over as the missus doesn't want to put the washing on overnight as it would mean pegging it out or putting it in the dryer first thing in morning and no one likes mornings!
Can't she put it in the washer over one night and the dryer over the next night?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Apart from washer / dryer (reasons above) and dish washer (we don't have one) I can't think of a reason to keep Eco 7 except for one storage heater....
Storage heaters are the only reason to keep E7.

As you have only one, it may be worth calculating if it is beneficial due to the increased day rate you are charged with E7.

Storage heaters are the only reason to keep E7.
Is there, perchance, a "not" missing from that sentence?
No. Context -
:Apart from washer / dryer and dish washer I can't think of a reason to keep Eco 7 except for one storage heater....
Ah, so you were refering to the OPs situation? - I thought you were making a general statement. Apologies.

As I imagine you will agree, in general, storage heaters are not the only reason for having E7. I have E7. Nearly all use of washing machines, dryers and dishwashers is at cheap rate, as is virtually all water heating. I also have quite a lot of IT and other equipment running 24/7. As a result, at least half of my consumption is at cheap rate, and the financial calculations are pretty favourable, despite no storage heaters

Kind Regards, John

I was referring to the OP's suggestion that running washing machines etc. at night was, in itself, a good reason for keeping E7 but perhaps it is valid as a general statement for the huge majority of properties.

Your retort to my post indicated that you had another good reason (apart from storage heaters).

I will take it as read that you have calculated the financial benefit for your own particular situation.

However, for most people without gas I don't think running washing machines etc. and water heating at night would warrant keeping, let alone installing, E7 while having no storage heaters.

I haven't worked out the cost of E7 and only one storage heater, hence my previous reply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back