STORAGE HEATERS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all i am new to this forum and was hoping someone could help me out, my storage heaters have stopped working (not both at same time)

they are not on a separate circuit as someone else suggested to me, they just packed in one day.

they are wired to unfused switches on the wall

they are both Dimplex, one is a 'lxsn' model

any information before i have to call out an electritian would be great,

thanks

Sponsored Links
hi all i am new to this forum and was hoping someone could help me out, my storage heaters have stopped working (not both at same time)

they are not on a separate circuit as someone else suggested to me, they just packed in one day.

Did they both fail at the same time or not? Also, are there two leads going to your heaters, and if so, is either wall plate illuminated at any time?

most storage heaters have an internal thermal cut out, which sometimes needs resetting.

It is not advisable for a non competent person to do this, as the cover needs to be removed and possible live parts may be exposed.

no, they both failed at different times over the summer months, when they didn't matter! now its cold i need to sort them out

the wall plates do not have lights in them, look just like light switches kind of thing

how competent would i have to be? I do have some idea of how to do electrics and as for live parts surely I'd just cut the power on my main fuse-box, could you explain how resetting the thermal cut out is done?

Sponsored Links
competent enough to know the power is off and unlikely to come on and electricute you.

A bad start is thinking turning off the main fusebox would be ok.

storage heaters usually come from a second off peak fusebox remote from the main fusebox.

the set up you have is hard to say.

if possible post a picture of one of the heaters and of the main fusegear near the electric meter.

What is the exact model number of your heater? There will be a plate on it somewhere with this information on it.

If you turn the switch off next to the heater and is also probably a good idea to turn the fuse box off - it looks like the bottom fuse box but will be a good idea to confirm this.
You will then need to remove the cover screws around the storage heater to gain access to the thermostat area at the top right hand side - there may also be screws around the dials, I did one not so long back and can't remember if they were hidden behind the knobs. Think you need to remove the knobs anyway.
Inside the top of the heater there will hopefully be a device which looks like this:
XL9172.jpg

The brown part to the left hand side of the above pic is the thermal cutout. If you press the small white button in the middle of it, if it has tripped there will be a positive "click". Now to put your heater back together again!

The supply to them may possibly come from that smaller box.

the reset is on the top of the heater near the control knobs underneath.

But to access it the cover needs removing.

the cover is held on with small pozi screws usually up to 4 off, not to get mixed up with the ones holding it on the wall bracket do not remove them.
the top pulls forward and the bottom lifts off the two slotted lugs

You must First pull the two knobs off gently

as the cover comes off it will hit the live bar

This is why it needs to be 100% off.
If unsure do not attempt, or preferably do it during the day when the offpeak supply is off.

the reset is a sort of round button shaped thing with a sort of middle bit sticking out.

the middle thing pushes in and an audible click is heard.

The POWER MUST be OFF before attempting this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back