Storage heaters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive been asked to replace some old Creda 1.7kW and 2.5kW storage heaters.
They are on a economy 7 tariff.

Lots of makers. Can anyone suggest a decent brand, or are they much the same?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I agree that Dimplex and Creda are under the same ownership. Do make sure you buy ones with strong enough legs (?!?) - I had to replace to replace one 'cause the legs/feet had distorted such that the unit was unsafe (people had moved it without unloading the bricks that are inside).
Is the property that you replacing the heaters in subject to energy efficency rules? If so you will need probably 'Quantum' units (https://www.dimplex.co.uk/product/quantum-heater) to meet the reg's.

To be honest in my experience the newer 'slimline' units are not as good as the old units. But saying that the thermal insulation in the very latest ones is much better than the material used in ones of 20 years ago.

I didn't realise the hidden depths post, but thank you for it.
I did check the website for asbestos in storage heaters already.
Anything to do with heat , I always think asbestos

I didn't realise the hidden depths post, but thank you for it.
Don't feel bad. Some write in what sometimes probably appears as riddles to those who are not in the know. Maybe most of us realise that blue text in a post may be (or may not be - This is not a link :) ) a link, but some (presumably like yourself) clearly don't. That's when why I do it I almost always include something like "(click here)".

Kind Regards, John

So you haven't installed any storage heaters yet. You often need to cut the carpet so that the legs are on the floor, otherwise they'll sink into the carpet and underlay when the bricks go in. Obviously, you're fitting them during the day, so there's no power going through, so you can't test them till the power comes on at night. They are all much of a much, but I fitted a Dimplex recently, and the quality has gone down horrendously.

Some write in what sometimes probably appears as riddles to those who are not in the know.
And some people write in ways which web browsers have been rendering as hyperlinks for about 25 years.

Maybe most of us realise that blue text in a post may be (or may not be - This is not a link :) ) a link, but some (presumably like yourself) clearly don't.
By "Most of us", you do realise that you mean "Most of the people in the world who have been using graphical web browsers since about 1993"?

So you haven't installed any storage heaters yet. You often need to cut the carpet so that the legs are on the floor, otherwise they'll sink into the carpet and underlay when the bricks go in. Obviously, you're fitting them during the day, so there's no power going through, so you can't test them till the power comes on at night. They are all much of a much, but I fitted a Dimplex recently, and the quality has gone down horrendously.
I have just 'renovated' one of my rental flats and intended replacing the storage heaters, by coincidence I assisted with such a similar job in between the decision to change and actually starting. Yes I agree the quality has dropped considerably so instead I stripped the casings off and took them to be resprayed. I kept the knobs and switches from the other job too, they now look like new and at a total cost of just under £90.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back