storing wall paper paste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible to store made up wallpaper paste for a short while?
I'm attempting my first wallpaper project this weekend, it's not a big room but i will be going very slowly and I'm expecting it will probably take me more than 1 day. I also have to go out for a couple of hours in the middle of the day.
The bag of paste I have is sufficient for the number of rolls I am doing - is it ok to mix it all up and store it in an airtight container or am i better to mix up small batches as I go?

Sponsored Links
As far as I know, there is no danger or health and safety issues involved in what you are attempting.
On returning home from the middle of the day, I would suggest stirring the paste - just in case.

Hope this helps
regards,
Growler.

I leave paste out for days in work...the trainees use stuff thats about a week old sometimes.

In this weather you can leave it in the bucket in a cool room overnight no problem...just make sure you run a sponge around the sides above the level of the paste to prevent it chrisping up

Heath and safey wise..dont let the dog stick his snout in it and keep it away from kids..oh and always wash yuor hands after using it before you touch food..it wont kill you but it can give you a nasty touch of the Eartha Kitts :mad:

Sponsored Links
I have done it a few times, where I have had quite a bit of paste left over, and starting another papering job the following week.

What I do is I cover the bucket with a plastic bag,when I have finished using it for the day for example, this avoids any bits getting into it and stops you pasting it on your paper, the down side is if you leave it for too long the paste goes all thin and watery, but if it just for a few days it will be fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back