Watery wallpaper paste:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - I recently used a well-known wallpaper paste. It was good for up to 10 rolls mixed with 7L of water but as I was only using 2-3 rolls (of lining paper) at most I mixed up half the paste with 3.5L of water. At the end of the second day the paste had turned very watery and I doubted it had any sticking power. I've used paste in the past over a few days and this has never happened. Is the paste unusable in this state and is this change possibly related to the recent hot weather? (I could of course try working faster!).

Regards.

Sponsored Links
I am guessing it was Solvite...

I emailed them a couple of years ago to complain about the fact that my paste had turned to "water" after a week or so. Their response was to offer me a complementary box of paste, I never got around to replying to their email.

Many, many years ago, if you left Solvite in a tub, it would dry out and become gloopy, now it turns in to water. I have no idea what they changed, but as a decorator, I am now less inclined to buy their powder paste. Once Solvite turns to water it is no longer usable, it won't stick anything.

I have noticed their paste turn to water in the winter and summer.

I recommend you (politely) email them and ask if the paste should fail quite so quickly, they are a decent company and hopefully will send you a voucher.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, you guessed right, it is Solvite (extra strong all purpose). I suppose it could be a rogue batch as I see many decorators, like yourself, swear by it (and at it?!). Have you switched to ready-mixed or another brand? Some decorators say ready-mixed is far superior but of course it's considerably dearer so maybe not so popular with DIY guys. Thanks again.

I still use Solvite because it is the brand that most of my local suppliers stock.

Occasionally, I purchase the Everbuild version. One advantage of the Everbuild is that each of the bags in the box is smaller, meaning that if it goes watery, I have less wastage.

https://www.toolstation.com/all-purpose-wallpaper-paste/p19709

I haven't noticed the Everbuild becoming watery thus far, but that might be down to the fact that I am mixing smaller amounts. Up until 7(?) years ago Solvite used to become thicker, not thinner. I have noticed that if I leave my brush and roller in the paste bucket, it becomes watery more quickly. I now take them out at the end of each day.

Personally, I prefer the mix-your-own paste for lining paper and pre-mixed for wallpaper.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that information. It's good to at least get the right materials, especially when you're not highly skilled. I can appreciate it's worth your while using pre-mixed paste as you're a professional decorator. Actually I think I've left my brush in the bucket, I'll go and take it out! I've only just learnt the "trick" of overlapping paper above the corners of window reveals and cutting through to make a false joint - looks good if you make a near invisible joint. Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back