Storm water flow overwhelming gully

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

The semi house I currently live in had a garage that was converted into a kitchen about 20 years ago. The garage was at lower ground level and adjoining the house, so it faced an exterior wall. A storm drain pipe ran along the exterior (now interior) wall and emptied into a gully that's now part of the kitchen. The kitchen also has a recessed manhole cover that's been tiled over and which I suspect links the gully to the main sewer outside.

The storm drain takes water from the south side of the roof, the deck that's been built over the kitchen and wastewater from the two bathrooms. When it rains heavily, this has caused problems when the water flow overwhelms the gully and starts coming back up. The house is Edwardian and has a separate waste drain so the redirection from the bathrooms was likely done later. My neighbor has a single drain pipe for waste and storm water so my question is - to ease the pressure on the gully, can I redirect the wastewater from the bathrooms and the storm water from the roof to the existing waste drain?

Having read online, I know the rule used to be that storm and waste water drains should be separate, but looking around my neighborhood and at new builds, that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. And the current setup I have is wrong anyway since wastewater should not be emptying into a storm drain.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back