unable to locate the outlet inside to gully

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My storm drain is slow.
During heavy rain water pools up.
The gully is square ceramic like on the photo with down pipe.
With the difference that mine is 4 inches deep below concrete pavement.
I went arms deep to remove silt but found none.
I am unable to locate the outlet inside to gully - checked all 4 sides - all smooth ceramic walls.
On one side - facing away from the house - on the very bottom, I feel several small holes, about 5 of them, about 1cm or smaller.
Puzzled, went to neighbors side (this is semi detached) and their gully is normal.
Any ideas please?

Sponsored Links
drains.jpg
side veiw.jpg
surface-water-drain-and-downpipe.jpg

It may be caked with mud or even plaster or cement. This happens when workmen wash out their plaster bucket down the drain ! Try some more poking around.

It may be caked with mud or even plaster or cement. This happens when workmen wash out their plaster bucket down the drain ! Try some more poking around.

you saying that there is no such type of gully as on my drawing?

plenty of shoddy tradesman were botchin this council property over years so it is likely for a cement to be there.
i found piles of concrete dried on pavement hidden under piles of soil, not far from the drain.

how do i get on with that without cracking the gully?
note that the gully is buried below 4-5 inches of concrete.

Sponsored Links
It is a clay gulley so more than likely has been cracked, broken and leaking for years

This washes away the surrounding soil, so it sinks down (which matches your description)

Rather than dig out and replace the broken gulley, people usually patch up the cracked concrete (which matches your description)

You are going to have to break up the concrete, remove and replace the gulley

It is extremely common. Not complex or difficult.

Summer is a good time for it.

"how do i get on with that without cracking the gully?"

Podge around with a gurt screwdriver, stick or piece of pipe.

It would normally take a strike with a cold chisel to break a gully not already cracked

yes...
scary - water nearly entered house!
i thought that i am safe with me regularly clearing silt and having double grate filtering all plastic bags and leaves.

It's worth noting that most of our drains and gutters (here in the UK) are not designed to cope with deluges and storm force winds, which used to be rare, but not so any more!

It's worth noting that most of our drains and gutters (here in the UK) are not designed to cope with deluges and storm force winds, which used to be rare, but not so any more!
tell me about it!
i had to resort to diverting water into the street using guttering along my drive. otherwise no chance for the drains.
it works a dream. makes a river on the street tho. going to pour permanent concrete channels along the fence. silly? but it works!
my neighbour diverted all the water onto my drive. ugh! has the right to do so... well, it is, what it is.

So many front gardens have now been concreted to create driveways for cars that there's even less chance for infiltration and therefore more surface run-off, which leads to flooding.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back