Various bits of planning advice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I purchased a redundant, decommissioned utilities (water treatment) building with full planning granted for partial demolition and conversion of the remainder into two semi detached dwellings (split into a left unit+right unit as viewed from the road), with the construction of a new garage block. Though those plans were nice, neither I nor the planning department felt they’re the best use of the building, and I’m massively keen on preserving its character in the established context by not knocking half of it down – especially as new construction is then necessary and this is a rural context

So.. I went away and came up with an alternative scheme that I submitted for some pre-application guidance. I got quite an in-depth response (that was effectively a no) with some very valid points, and I’m now looking for advice on how I can improve my scheme to better its chances as a full application

Imagine a square building in quarters (top down view):
A B
C D

The approved scheme demolishes A and B quarters and turns C and D into one residential unit each, constructing a garage block, patio and turning area on the ground formerly occupied by A B. The existing vehicle access runs along the A / C gable. A new access is to be created running along D/B gable. The road runs along C/D elevation. Standing with your back to A/B elevation and looking out, it is all fields and countryside

My scheme retains the entire building, but rotates the arrangement 90 degrees, putting the residential units in B and D, and using A and C for the garages, reusing the existing access and leaving the area adjacent to B/D gable as garden

1) In the C/A gable of this building, the approved plans call for two 2.1 metre high doors, around 4 metres apart. In my plans, I put a garage door 4 metres wide at appropriate (vertically aligned with existing windows high up the wall) points in both C gable and A gable. The LPA were concerned that these garage doors would be visible from the road

Though this is true,
* they could be made to look as though they’d always been there by finishing the edges in the same way the windows above are finished, and giving them an industrial grey rather than domestic white appearance
* they doors do not face the road (they run perpendicular to it),
* the road itself is a 60mph limit with no pavements and nearly no passing foot traffic
* there’s only circa 7 metres of it a person could reasonably stand to even see the doors
.. with these points in mind, is it reasonable for me to assert that there’s no effective public vantage point from which the doors could be seen/cause an upset to the context?

2) My internal layout of rooms was subject to the criticism that not every bedroom had both access to natural light and an outlook. Again, this is true, one of the bedrooms is lit by skylight and doesn’t have a window in a side wall where any such occupant of the room could go and look out horizontally to see a view. I’m not certain I understand this requirement though, because plenty of buildings all around me have windows that effectively look out onto a gable wall, pavement or other relatively featureless thing and though they have natural light they don’t really look or open onto anything.

What does “outlook” mean? If I put an atrium in the centre of the building so that a person could “look out” into a small courtyard lit from above, can it be said that the room has an outlook?

3) In the D/B gable I wanted to take the existing, high up semicircular windows and bring the corners all the way down to the ground making a large rectangular opening with a semicircular top. The end result would be a gable 25 metres long, with 2 windows of 4 metres wide by ~6 metres high each)
This decision wasn’t taken lightly as I knew it was a bold request, but I found a small number of relevant buildings in the locality, one of the best being an industrial pumping station with similar windows. I replicated the design and proportions/scale of those windows (they were around half the size and the building contained 8 of them per gable) with the addition that a door would be incorporated into one or two of the lower panes to provide access to the gardens for each dwelling.
The LPA cautioned that the windows wouldn’t be acceptable, because the pumping station windows I’d based my design on didn’t go all the way to ground level and mine did .
Where I’d cited other local buildings with similarly large windows, it was noted that these buildings were churches, schools, hospitals and barn conversions and thus were buildings that had a different intended use and character to the utilities building I’m converting. Elsewhere within the guidance, the LPA advised that utilities buildings were often built with impressive or grand features to symbolise investment in local infrastructure, but when commenting on the windows, they said that utilities buildings have a simple utilitarian character/appearance so I’m left struggling to understand how to interpret the advice.
Yes, I cited barn conversions with large windows and barn conversions aren’t utilities buildings, but it doesn’t seem and apples=apples argument. A barn that is now a house with a huge window is no longer a barn and has not-barnlike features (like large windows) so I think the comparison shouldn’t be drawn between the utilities building character vs barn character, I think it should be drawn between current use vs old use of the same building. Large windows in this building would bring a lot of light and passive solar heating in – does making a light, airy space have a residential amenity argument?
Does anyone have an opinion on how I should couch a response to these points?

4) Lastly and thanks for bearing with me, perhaps one of the hardest to overcome concerns the LPA has is that the house D quarter in my scheme has a garden that is about 20 metres wide and deep plus 5 metres wide part that runs between the front elevation and the road. Thus, all of the garden is within 20 metres of the road. This means that the garden area for D is generally publicly visible. As new dwellings are mandated to have 50 square metres of private garden space I’m perhaps stuck. Can a dwelling in such a position (where its curtilage is 20 m deep back from the road, and the dwelling touches the rear boundary, and no other feature is obscuring any part of the garden from the road) have private garden created? Could I put up a wall or hedge in the garden to screen off an area where domestic paraphernalia, washing lines etc could be placed? Can private garden areas be created through use of natural barriers like hedges?

If drawings would help for any of this, let me know and I'll post some up

Thanks guys

Sponsored Links
No offence, but do you expect someone to read all that in detail and advise in a meaningful way? Good luck if someone is prepared to, but you probably need pay for professional advice

No offence, but do you expect someone to read all that in detail and advise in a meaningful way? Good luck if someone is prepared to, but you probably need pay for professional advice

I agree. Its like reading a book or something.

Sponsored Links
No offence, but do you expect someone to read all that in detail and advise in a meaningful way?

None taken.. And sure, why not? You answer loads of queries on here of an evening. In any one session you probably read collectively more words than i wrote there.. And you'll advise in many a thread where the op writes two paragraphs but doesn't include enough info, so you probe for more.. And over the course of it all, if you had to probe 4 people with one question each a lot of words will be written.. Was it an error to try and include all the relevant supporting info i could think of when asking my question?

I'll split em up and summarise,
regards
cj

Was it an error to try and include all the relevant supporting info i could think of when asking my question?

Yes.

Thats a massive chunk of text, most of it may or may not be relevant, but its too arduous to read as it is.

Start with an outline

I switch off before I even get through the first sentence on these great big opening posts. There's too much competition.

Scrolled and scrolled some more then a bit more and shook my head.

Then moved on to a readable post.

OK guys, I think he's got the point.

OP - yes I think a picture would help.
And ask simple questions - make them clear. (This lot struggle with complicated questions :) )

Preface - I'm not in any way involved with planning matters - so could be talking complete rubbish !

2) My internal layout of rooms was subject to the criticism that not every bedroom had both access to natural light and an outlook.
Well in town we have houses where the "outlook" is across a 6' gap to the one across the ginnel !
4) Lastly and thanks for bearing with me, perhaps one of the hardest to overcome concerns the LPA has is that the house D quarter in my scheme has a garden that is about 20 metres wide and deep plus 5 metres wide part that runs between the front elevation and the road. Thus, all of the garden is within 20 metres of the road. This means that the garden area for D is generally publicly visible.
OK, take a look at these newbuilds up my way :
http://property.pooletownsend.co.uk/more_details.php?profileID=100127003238
What they don't mention is that what you see is the entire property (up to and including the drive at the far end of the "lawn") - and the pavement you can just see at the bottom of the picture is alongside a busy trunk A road (the photo was taken from across the road).

http://property.pooletownsend.co.uk/more_details.php?profileID=100127003241
This one is directly to the right of the previous one. The main road is carefully not included at the right hand side of the photo.

These are two of 5 in one development - the whole lot on the site of an old pub.

Then just round the corner there's this plot. http://property.pooletownsend.co.uk/more_details.php?profileID=100127006136
Another carefully taken photo - at the far side you can just see the rear end of the builder's yard to the right. To the left, again carefully out of shot is the view overlooking the old council estate. The field you can see centre of picture is the entire extent of the "pleasant views over adjacent farmland". And again, the photographer is almost stof in the road to take that shot.

Then one from the 90's :
This is the front garden of my flat - and the other side of the wall is the street. Round the corner, the houses in the development are about half the distance from the road - ie the front door (opens directly into the living room) is about 10ft from the road ! The rear view from the bedroom is of the car park and neighbour's garden - with the sheltered housing and old folks home behind.
OK, this is in a town environment and expectations would be different in a rural setting - but even so, just look at those "gardens" above :rolleyes:

I'd suggest asking if your planning officer can come and have a site meeting with you so you can talk over the options. For example, show them that the garage doors effectively can't be seen from the road (except if someone is deliberately looking). You might ask where the requirement for an outlook comes from, and where the 20m bit comes in.
Where things are set out in the local policies then they would have weight. Where it's subjective then you have better grounds for negotiation - and potentially appeal.

But you probably want to consult someone local who is familiar with local policies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back