Stovax Brunel 2CB stove - flue size

Difficult. 900 from stove to closure plate, 750 from closure plate to ceiling (within breast).

How do chimney sweeps do this? Do they have equipment to get into the flue from within the stove? Hmm.
Your stove has 5” spigot so brush would have to be very soft to go through it and expand into the 6” section.
The other way to sweep would be a power whip which it easy to get through but some stoves have difficult to remove baffle plates.
litl

Sponsored Links
Your stove has 5” spigot so brush would have to be very soft to go through it and expand into the 6” section.
The other way to sweep would be a power whip which it easy to get through but some stoves have difficult to remove baffle plates.
litl
I wondered about the 5" spigot. Returning to the original question for a minute, does that not imply a 5" flue? I got a length of 5" vitreous with it (which the previous user had going into a chimney, though whether lined or not I don't know)

I'm pressing Stovax for a more thorough explanation. As you say, 6" is the usual minimum for a non-DEFRA stove, burning wood. And this is not a DEFRA stove. Though it has a 5" spigot ...

Last edited:
I wondered about the 5" spigot. Returning to the original question for a minute, does that not imply a 5" flue? I got a length of 5" vitreous with it (which the previous user had going into a chimney, though whether lined or not I don't know)
It depends on whether one wants a compliant instalation or not?
Given what you have to work with , if it were me I would sell the brunel and fit a stove that would be compliant with a 5” flue.
litl

It depends on whether one wants a compliant instalation or not?
Given what you have to work with , if it were me I would sell the brunel and fit a stove that would be compliant with a 5” flue.
litl
One does want a compliant installation - or more importantly, a safe installation that draws properly.

In any case. I can't use vitreous without changing the whole design. And I have no issue with the rest of the system being 6". My only significant question is above - will having the first metre in 5" twin wall compromise the draw?

Although I do still wonder why a stove for which 6" flue is required would be made with a 5" spigot ...

Sponsored Links
One does want a compliant installation - or more importantly, a safe installation that draws properly.

In any case. I can't use vitreous without changing the whole design. And I have no issue with the rest of the system being 6". My only significant question is above - will having the first metre in 5" twin wall compromise the draw?
Do you have a choice??

As for the 5” outlet, your stove is not not alone in that it requires increasing to 6”... and for that reason a 5 to 6 increasing adaptor is available ?
litl

Do you have a choice??
About compliance? No, obviously. I'm confident of getting it signed off, with or without a 5" starter length, on the basis of what the contemporary instructions indicate. That's not really my issue.

If you mean do I have a choice about the design, I do, and am trying to see if I can work a stone mantel into it. But I'm reluctant to change it.

As for the 5” outlet, your stove is not not alone in that it requires increasing to 6”... and for that reason a 5 to 6 increasing adaptor is available ?
litl

Fair point.

On the follow up question, you don't think a 5" starter length will compromise the draw? I assume not, as you suggested it.

Cheers.

Looking at the instructions, removing the baffle doesn't seem like rocket science

Do you install stoves, by the way? Not asking you to do mine, I hasten to add.
Have in the past. but my 3 score years and 10 are well up.
Wood burning stoves have been my passion and have rebuilt scores of them over the years including a several older Brunells which I should have the manuals for somewhere
litl

Have in the past. but my 3 score years and 10 are well up.
Wood burning stoves have been my passion and have rebuilt scores of them over the years including a several older Brunells which I should have the manuals for somewhere
litl
My experience to date is limited to watching my other stove being installed, and subsequently helping a friend install his.

I was looking at the outside flue of my other stove this afternoon. That was installed at great expense by a HETAS registered shop, all signed off by them. The flue is right by the bungalow ridge, but certainly not 600 above it, so that's not compliant for a start ;)

I now think I can retain a vitreous pipe in the opening, by judicious use of a row of tiles above, and a slate mantel that someone has given me. I'll discuss this with my more experienced co-installer.

Update: I queried this again with Stovax, and have now had a more helpful reply:

"The Brunel stove has a 5 inch spigot and requires a 5 inch vitreous flue to connect to the register plate.
Above the register plate the 5 inch vitreous pipe will need a multi adapter connecting to a 6 inch liner.
As mention the stove is not Defra compliant so cannot be run on a 5 inch liner."

As this is what I am about to do, I'm happy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back