Stove questions.....

I'm not sure what to believe right now, to be honest.

Maybe not the Stun.
"WOOD BURNING FACES CHOP
London mayor Sadiq Khan demands Britain BANS fireplaces and wood-burning stoves ‘to tackle air pollution’"

They don't have a reputation for fair or accurate reporting.

"Make it short!
Make it catchy!
Make it up!"

Fish-wrapping.

Although, having opened with the eye-catching false heasdlines, even the Stun admits, towards the bottom of the page:
"What does the London mayor want to achieve?
The power to ban the burning of wood in parts of London with poor air quality because of the fine particle pollution they cause
  • Tougher controls on the sale of wood-burning stoves, with only low-emission versions allowed to remain on the market"
perhaps to avoid more complaints about their reporters being like holidaymakers, lieing in the Sun.

Sponsored Links
As allways, things aren't as straightforward as they appear. Kahns justifying the ban based on a study done by Kings College london back in 2010 where they tested PM10 particles, but the Guardian quotes the PM2.5 which is associated with Diesel cars. And in the report, there were 1 in 5 houses that had smoke coming from their chimneys, and I find that hard to believe. The report is also based on the amount of sugars in the air produced by burning paper, so can't give a definite answer as to what the sources are.

Sponsored Links
observe my quotation marks, as I am quoting the false headline in the Stun. And my comment that the Stun does not have a reputation for fair or accurate reporting.

If you were looking at the words that I first used, they say

today's news is that Sadiq Khan is proposing a total ban on wood burning stoves

"No he isn't"

Hello guys, just to let you know, I'm going ahead and installing the stove end of next week.

I don't know if I have done right, but I've order 30+ bags of smokeless coal from wickes to get me started.

If anyone knows of any other offers or ways I could get more wood/coal, then please let me know.

Thanks for all your help guys. Really appreciate it.

If the stove and chimney / flue are both suitable for burning smokeless coal then there shouldn't be a problem.

Some wood burning stove will burn smokeless coal but many will not. ( well they burn it but the flue / chimney gets a thick lining of tar ready for a nice cosy chimney fire ).

I'm in a smokeless zone though, so what other option do I have other than to burn smokeless coal/wood?

Also I've ordered the Dunsley Highlander 5 slimline and will install the 316 flue liner. Is this okay?

I don't think you can get smokeless wood, even on a secondary burn. As to the Dundley Highlander, can't say whether it's okay, but if you're happy with it, then what's the problem.

I don't think you can get smokeless wood, even on a secondary burn. As to the Dundley Highlander, can't say whether it's okay, but if you're happy with it, then what's the problem.
You can only burn wood in an "exempt" stove, in a smokeless zone. The first link below has a list of exempt stoves. It includes some Dunsley models, but not the one you've ordered. If you want to be able to burn wood, I suggest cancelling that order and buying an exempt stove from the list.

https://smokecontrol.defra.gov.uk/appliances.php
https://www.gov.uk/smoke-control-area-rules

I noticed the OP was asking about sizing further back. I've got a 4kw contura 810 in a 35sqm room. According to the calculators I looked at 4kw is undersized. Honestly the room gets hot very quickly and I wouldn't want anything bigger. It can easily get up to 26/27c at the other end of the room! Would never have the GCH that high.

The type of wood makes a big difference too - oak has been great. Loved birch. Currently on Ash which I know is well regarded but personally I prefer oak. Greater heat output and burns longer.

I've got a 4kw contura 810 in a 35sqm room. According to the calculators I looked at 4kw is undersized. Honestly the room gets hot very quickly.
I think the quoted outputs are nominal. I have a 5.5kW stove, but I'm sure I read somewhere that it would put out 7-8 kW if you stoked it up and opened the vents :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back