Oil/wood heating ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi just thought.....I have oil combi heating and looking for a multi/fuel stove for the living
Room.....The size of the room is 60sqm which I've been advised from a couple of surpliers
That I should be looking at 10/12kw output.....from what I've seen at that size they are
Capable of heating water to the rads.....is there anyway this could be achieved with the set up I've got at the moment.....I.e using the oil for instant water & heat....and in winter when the
Stove is on switch it over some how so the stove is heating the rads.

Sponsored Links
Be careful not to put too big a stove in I've a customer who put in a 7 kw stove in and it was too big it's a pig to run really low.Bob

hi just thought.....I have oil combi heating and looking for a multi/fuel stove for the living
Room.....The size of the room is 60sqm which I've been advised from a couple of surpliers
That I should be looking at 10/12kw output.....from what I've seen at that size they are
Capable of heating water to the rads.....is there anyway this could be achieved with the set up I've got at the moment.....I.e using the oil for instant water & heat....and in winter when the
Stove is on switch it over some how so the stove is heating the rads.
I may have missread what you have but the wood stove would need to be on a vented system with expansion tank and the oil combi is on unvented pressurised?

It can be done, but don't expect it to save you any money. You're looking at a few thousand quid to get it all linked up properly

Sponsored Links
Thermal store. Unless you're getting wood for free the payback time will be in decades, plus you get all the overheads of solid fuel system (no plastic plumbing, heat loss rad, gravity circuit).

Ok guys thanks for the info.......was just a thought as I can source the wood free
And at the moment central heating cost and hot tap water is costing around £45
Per week total hrs over 7 days is 50 hrs of heating and hot tap water no bath
Electric shower....

£45/week, you must like it warm or have a very large property /poorly insulated /inefficient boiler?
I would consider a dry stove as a supplementary heat source

Hi it's a 4 bed 1960s bungalow caverty insulated large windows & 2 sets of Bifold
Doors.....14 rads new system installed October average temp set at 19*

I just want to echo the point above about not going for a multifuel stove that is too big - ebay is full of burners that are being resold for a loss because they were too big for the space. 10-12kw sounds a bit bonkers!
My experience is that we have a 4.5kw rated woodburner which is more than adequate for a room of about 40 square metres, and another 6kw woodburner which tends to overheat a room of about 40 square metres.
(They are very efficient burners, we only burn dry wood, and they each have an eco-fan on them)
I found a really good book, by the way, about woodburners, choosing them, using them etc - it's called 'The Log Book'

Correct size stove for a sealed room is fine but larger does give the oportunity to leave door open for heat to migrate elsewhere which could reduce oil consumption?

I just want to echo the point above about not going for a multifuel stove that is too big - ebay is full of burners that are being resold for a loss because they were too big for the space. 10-12kw sounds a bit bonkers!
'
Op was talking about 10-12kw wet stove which may only put 3-5kw to the room,the rest would be going to hot water.
Be very wary of ebay sellers reasons for sale, too big for room generally means they have discovered wood burning can be hard work/messy/dont like what they've bought /or could be selling the odd stove.
A stoves output can also be reduced by adding less fuel at a time

Last edited:
provided there is a means to replace the air that the fire has consumed and sent up the flue pipe.
I used wrong terminology there,, by sealed I meant door shut. A puka stove fitter would ,or should advise on what air vent would be needed having visited the propery?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back