two boilers on one system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right then I have an oil fed boiler that does the heating and water, at the moment I also have a multi fuel stove, in the not to distant future I want to replaice this with a multi fuel stove but with a back boiler, my question is how do I incorporate a second boiler into my system and do it so as that I can heat water and rads by either heating source ?

Sponsored Links
Right then I have an oil fed boiler that does the heating and water, at the moment I also have a multi fuel stove, in the not to distant future I want to replaice this with a multi fuel stove but with a back boiler, my question is how do I incorporate a second boiler into my system and do it so as that I can heat water and rads by either heating source ?

Probably get someone who knows what you are on about & qualified to do so. Try & give him/her a little more info than what you have posted here.

Do you, for example, live in a house.? Big is it?

two bed terraced cottage, outside boiler oil fed, y plan heating system installed at present.

What i am wanting to do as the price of heating oil rises i will be using wood more as a heating source so therefore will turn off oil boiler during the winter months and use the wood burner boiler to heat the water and house, then in the summer months when it is too warm to use the wood burner use the oil boiler to heat the water.

All im wanting to know is, is it acceptable to just turn off the electric supply to the oil fired boiler ? and does the pipework need to be altered or can i just t into either the supply and return pipes from the existing boiler to the new ones that will come from the wood burner ?

You would be able to just Tee into the flow and return near to the existing boiler and put some gate valves on both boilers so you can isolate either one .

Sponsored Links
You would be able to just Tee into the flow and return near to the existing boiler and put some gate valves on both boilers so you can isolate either one .

thats just what i wanted to know thanks

Forget about the fact that your existing boiler has all sorts of safety devices built in etc, just tee in that new sonofabitch. ;) Stay warm dude.

I already have a durnsley heat exchange unit(about 25 years old)

The back boiler on my open fire is gravity fed to the durnsley unit and the oil boiler is pump fed.

Because of the oil prices, I am thinking of installing a wood chip boiler which would be easy to fuel with a hopper when I am in the house, but my idea is to use the oil boiler on a programme when I am not able to fuel the hopper.

It would be possible for me to use valves as suggested, but is there an alternative. My oil boiler is outside my house so the advantage of following the advice in the quotation could be the small amount of extra pies requred

Not worth the effort.
Can be done but expensive to do right. Most people loose interest
and the multifuel stove will remain unused.
People misjudge the quantity of wood/fuel that is required
to generate the same amount of heat as a litre of oil.
Think sack of wood tank of hot water. To heat a house you'll do nothing but
fill the stove all the time.

Not worth the effort.

Not worth the effort.

OPS is considering a woodchip boiler you prick.
Why don't you take that copy and paste and shove it where the sun don't shine buddy?

NOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

It's a 5 year old thread.

Some real gems of advice on here.

It's no wonder you see threads popping up every now and then where you see pumps fitted backwards, no cold feed, no open vent, vent plugged or valved etc etc on SF systems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back