two boilers on one system

Not worth the effort.
Can be done but expensive to do right. Most people loose interest
and the multifuel stove will remain unused.
People misjudge the quantity of wood/fuel that is required
to generate the same amount of heat as a litre of oil.
Think sack of wood tank of hot water. To heat a house you'll do nothing but
fill the stove all the time.

OPS is considering a woodchip boiler you p***k.
Why don't you take that copy and paste and shove it where the sun don't shine buddy?

Same applies to woodchip. Complete nonsense for a heating system.

Sponsored Links
sorry about the age of the thread, I just googled "two boilers in one system" and this thread came up so I used it.

If the Durnsley website is talking about the same unit that I have, there should be an input for another boiler

Not worth the effort.

Why don't you take that copy and paste and shove it where the sun don't shine buddy?

No its certainly not complete nonsense for many people.
Every new build I know has a wood burner fitted and many opting for a second one.
And many regretting not going boiler model in the first instance.

Its probably nonsense for a gas man with a vested interest installing crappy gas boilers in two bedroom inner city council hovels. :rolleyes:

The ones where you lay down the dust sheets to ensure your tools stay clean and don't pick up any viruses. :LOL:

The ones where you lay down the dust sheets to ensure your tools stay clean and don't pick up any viruses. :LOL:

Love it!

Strangely I found the big houses owned by farmers and 'horsey people' to be the filthiest when I was servicing Agas and other oil fired boilers.

Their kitchens were always encrusted in crap and full of smelly farting dogs that won't move out of the way. Their horses gained more attention than their children!

Unfortunately I did pick up a blood infection which caused a heart infection which almost killed me. Be careful you don't cut yourself when working in filthy places!

Sponsored Links

Utter nonsense, as controllable as gas or oil, and a sound finsncisl choice for some installations, especially given the RHIs.

I don't anticipate gas or oil will become cheaper in the forseeable future; political instability in the Middle East or Eastern Europe could make either unobtainable.

Utter nonsense, as controllable as gas or oil, and a sound finsncisl choice for some installations, especially given the RHIs.

I don't anticipate gas or oil will become cheaper in the forseeable future; political instability in the Middle East or Eastern Europe could make either unobtainable.

What's an RHI and is it available for wood chip burners at the moment= or is it still something the vendors and installers dream about.

There is an oil equivalent to CORGI. Is there an equivalent for wood chip burners and the fuel hoppers.

I might have a problem with a subsidy as I don't like the idea of filling the cavity in my breeze blocks. I am toying with the idea of lining the internal walls with 2x2s and insulating the gap - same space as a cavity but you keep the air in your cavity. Up til recently I would have covered with plasterboard, but following "house for £100,000", I'm thinking of the boards made from timber waste

Not worth the effort.

No its certainly not complete nonsense for many people.
Every new build I know has a wood burner fitted and many opting for a second one.
And many regretting not going boiler model in the first instance.

Its probably nonsense for a gas man with a vested interest installing crappy gas boilers in two bedroom inner city council hovels. :rolleyes:

The technology for wood burners hasn't caught up with my Grant Queensgrate back boiler with its fin like heat exchange.

Most wood burners go for looks and simply have a thin rectangle stuck in the back of the burner.

I went off the idea of changing my Grant open fire when I was told that if a woodburner uses 3 tons of woo to heat a room 4m x 5m. you would need 8 tons for a wood burner with a back boiler able to heat domestic water and radiators.

But then there is the saying that plumbers always overestimate the size of boiler required.

A wood chip burner is not designed to go in the kitchen or sitting room so I hope it would be deignesd for efficiency.

OPS wrote
The technology for wood burners hasn't caught up with my Grant Queensgrate back boiler

It overtook it many years ago mate... You might have about 70% efficiency at best...
qw7e.jpg

RHI = renewable heat incentive.

You get paid for kWh produced from your renewable heat source (gshp, biomass...)

For domestic installs (45kW and under) you need a MCS accredited installer. In england/wales you also have a HETAS scheme but it's not a legal requirement for you to get the installation done by a member. You do need to comply with building regulations though. (hetas members self certify, bypassing this)

Biomass is financially beneficial for places out in the sticks. Usually these systems are designed with accumulator(s) and you can combine multiple heat sources like you wish to do.

RHI = renewable heat incentive.

You get paid for kWh produced from your renewable heat source (gshp, biomass...)
Welcome to the forum! However, it might be worth checking the date a topic started (in this case Feb 2008) before putting pen to paper.

Thanks for the welcome!
Aye, was replying to OPS post in october. You can apply for RHI in retrospect as well. Installs from 2009.
RHI was initially commercial incentive a few years back, which is how we got involved and this year the domestic scheme is running so you should see more ppl looking more into gshp/ashp/biomass as an alternative.
Depends on fracking and nuclear though :)

[

Why don't you take that copy and paste and shove it where the sun don't shine buddy?[/quote] :LOL: :LOL: and while we`re @ it --- stick any valves in any number whereever you like BUT leave a cold feed and vent from a boiler to a F+E tank UN obstructed :idea:

Interesting how some of these older suggestions become reality a few years later!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back