Stove questions.....

Thanks geraldthehampster. Just to clarify, your say don't get a stove which requires a vent?

I like the idea of a stove which transfers heat to other rooms, however the doesn't the Much Wenlocks have very bad reviews?

Sponsored Links
Thanks geraldthehampster. Just to clarify, your say don't get a stove which requires a vent?
I'm not saying that, no. I'm just pointing out that above 5kW you will need a fixed vent in the wall, which is extra work. And that you don't need a raging 12kW to achieve what you're after.

I like the idea of a stove which transfers heat to other rooms, however the doesn't the Much Wenlocks have very bad reviews?
Much Wenlock and Little Wenlock stoves were made for years by Coalbrookdale and are now made by Aga. They've been through several different models. I've not seen any bad reviews anywhere, except from people who don't know how to operate a stove, or haven't installed it properly. I have a newer Aga Much Wenlock, my neighbour has an older Coalbrookdale and they're both fine. Bearing in mind that any stove will need parts and maintenance from time to time. I've just fitted new fibreglass rope seals to mine.

By the way there is no "p" in "hamster".

I'm not saying that, no. I'm just pointing out that above 5kW you will need a fixed vent in the wall, which is extra work. And that you don't need a raging 12kW to achieve what you're after.

That's excellent advice - My mistake as I just assumed when you were talking about helping to reduce damp, that you were stating I should get a vented version to help the air circulate.

Much Wenlock and Little Wenlock stoves were made for years by Coalbrookdale and are now made by Aga. They've been through several different models. I've not seen any bad reviews anywhere, except from people who don't know how to operate a stove, or haven't installed it properly. I have a newer Aga Much Wenlock, my neighbour has an older Coalbrookdale and they're both fine. Bearing in mind that any stove will need parts and maintenance from time to time. I've just fitted new fibreglass rope seals to mine.

By the way there is no "p" in "hamster".

For the much wenlock, I was referring to these REVIEWS

Anyway, I'm interested....how do these stoves distribute heat around the house?

Also, would it be worth buying a used one?

For the much wenlock, I was referring to these REVIEWS
I looked at those. One person complaining that there's a "hot smell", another needing new door seals, someone with an iffy installation, and other happy people ;)

Anyway, I'm interested....how do these stoves distribute heat around the house?
Mine distributes heat around my house because I leave doors open to other rooms ;) Nothing technical. Also I live in a dormer bungalow, and the stairs are in the room where the stove is, so the heat goes upstairs. The bedroom directly above technically has under floor heating ;) The point I'm making is that a nominal 5kW is still a lot of heat. Though of course you can get stoves with back boilers and run heating systems with them.

Also, would it be worth buying a used one?
I did. Mine was 3 years old when I bought it in 2011, and cost me £300.

Sponsored Links
Thanks mate. That's of great help.

Now if I did go for a used one:

1.what DEFRA multifuel version would you recommend?

2.what sort of price should I pay?

3.what parts should I get with it?

An eBay example would be much appreciated.

I got a contura 510 off of eBay, for £300 (normally about £800) and another well known make that I can't remember, and that came in about half price to new. I just kept looking and reading reviews, and these two suddenly came up. Parts came in about £500, and I fitted them myslf under a building control notice for £144. Ideally you'll have scaffolding, or you need a roofer to get the liner down the chimney for you, but it'll end up swings and roundabouts - depending on the access to the chimney of course.

Stove, closure plate and brackets, stove pipe to closure plate, chimney liner, and cone to pull down liner. Insulation (about 5/6 bags of vermiculite) is a good thing to have, but you need the chimney pots off to do it, hence scaffolding that gives you a day or two is good. Then you'd need a chimney support plate and bracket, then refit the chimney pots, then cut the liner off at the top of the chimeny, and fit a downdraft cowl.

I just researched each stove on offer, read as much as I could, and then jumped at those 2 when they came up. I took out the old brick hearths, leveled them with self leveling compund, then cut and fitted some ceramic tiles to make a new hearth. Not perfect, but very satisfying. Bought one of those fans from Aldis, didn't notice any difference, so took it back; not sure if the better quality ones are any good though.

And if you're getting a hot smell from the stove, it's often because the wood hasn't been dried enough, and the steam being produced from the damp wood will overheat the stove.

I'll just add my thoughts......!

I'm having a 6kw Scan dedicated woodburner fitted next week. Pricey at 2k for the stove alone! But the missus likes it!!! Plus I'm getting drilled a new one for the installation, but needs must, and I just want it done!

You'll be surprised how much heat a stove knocks out. I was in paying the deposit for mine today and in the office was a 4.5kw woodburner (good size office btw) with two logs on. All the windows were open, and it was too warm to stand in front of it!

We were advised that 5kw would be plenty in our house..... small end of terrace stone built cottage with the loft converted to a bedroom. But I opted for 6kw as in winter up here in Scotland, the house is baltic! And I mean proper baltic! And we're having a cold air feed to the stove.

Doggit and Blake, thanks for your recommendations. They are beautiful designs. However, they both can't be installed as I'd have to adjust a large portion of the chimney /fireplace..

In what way. Most stoves need bringing out into the room (which is better for heat distribution) and obviously you're contrained by the size of the opening, but you work out the size and heat output you need, and then search accordingly. Or you find the one you like best, and adjust the chimney. The Contura has a very large window, and it's nice to sit there looking at the flames.

I'd look at second hand for a recent example of a known brand. Look for Aga, Charnwood, Coalbrookdale, Morso, etc. A very much older stove might look like a bargain but need new parts, such as firebricks. Reputedly a lot of the cheaper stoves (sub-£300 new) are made in China and are not as durable.

Thanks gerald. There are so many stoves, even from the manufacturers you've mentioned, that it's just baffling. I've had two hetas installers quotes yesterday. One said £1500 and other said £2300. The cheaper one is offering to get an ex-display 5kw model (will find out the available brands and get back to me) and the expensive one has said it'll be a dunsley highlander 5kw.

At these prices, I'm better of staying on gas CH! :ROFLMAO:

Now this is where you have to do your reseach Ripper. The Highlander 5 is onlyy 70% efficient, and that's pretty crap. The Highlander 5 Enviro is nearly 80%, and that should be the starting point, not the superdooper one, so I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole. £1500 for a stove is pretty good value, but not the best; that's maybe £400 for the stove, £500 for materials, and £600 for installation. Do you feel confident to do it yourself; what are you DIY skills like.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't remember the make of mine, but this little stove does a good job of heating a room that is 30ft by 20ft apprx. (not square)
31245739871_ae55b47fb4_b.jpg

Thanks very much guys. I'm awaiting for the guy whom quoted me £1500 to send some pics of the stove, but I get the feeling it will be a cheap stove, considering the price...only time will tell.

Regarding DIY, I'm pretty good and could do all the job. In fact I'd be happy to do it all myself, but I can't find anyone whom is willing to climb the roof and put the flue lining down for me. (something which I wouldn't be able to do as I have no experience).

If I could find someone locally, then the rest is pretty easy for me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back