Stove closure plate - fragile walls/fixings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We’re going to have a stove installed this summer, and I’m prepping our fireplace ready. It’s made entirely of lime and clunch (chalk), and is extremely delicate and any substantial fixings need to be planned as the walling doesn’t hold much weight on its own (no brick or other sturdy stone to attach to either).

I’m currently putting a scratch coat of lime plaster on the inside, and starting to wonder about the angle brackets for the closure plate. Any fixings themselves will need to be long, plentiful to share the load and fixed with a resin plug of some kind, and I’m thinking I may as well buy the brackets ahead of time and scratch coat around them, effectively giving it a little ridge to sit on also.

Does this sound like a plan, and might anyone be able to give me a rough idea of how heavy typical closure plates tend to be?

Thanks!
L

Attachments

• IMG_2742.jpeg
    IMG_2742.jpeg
    298.9 KB · Views: 20
Sponsored Links
When we were installing stoves we always had the steel angle frame made in one piece then fixed it with 100mm concrete screws.
The plate itself that dropped into frame is not that heavy the frame was normally heavier.
Fixing into soft chalk certainly won't be easy.i would want to know how a resin fix would resist heat before using it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back