straighten a woodworkers brace...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How would you go about straightening a Stanley model No: 73-12-IN-Mk4 brace?

If the brace is stood vertically the higher crossbar is not aligned with the lower cross bar by perhaps 1/8 inch.
So when trying to drill or screw the top of the handle will move in a circle while the user fights to keep the screw bit in the screw slot.
I do not have a metalworkers vice which I would like to have for another attempt to straighten the brace.
I did try with outher tools but realized steel is hard....that's a joke I suppose...
It seemed to bend and I was sure I felt it bend but attempts to use the brace revealled no change.
Just in passing I wondered if anyone had a good idea as to how to staighten the brace.
I could keep it and use it , it can still drill a straight hole but it is awkward to using it as it is.

Sponsored Links
Hi Wigs
I cant find the exact model you describe but there are several Stanley Braces on ebay. I imagine it has bent on on of the bends next to the handle (I cant imagine how you bent it other than running over it with a tank). As a retired maintenance fitter I think you would need a good solid vice & alot of heat (oxy bottles) Which unfortunately would damage the handle, Sorry I think the job is a NO NO.
Good luck
JonB

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back