How to stick holder to wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

I want to stick a toilet roll holder to a tiled wall but am trying to avoid using screws in case we ever want to replace the holder with another one and have to drill more holes, ruining the tilework or want to remove the holder completely, leaving ugly screw holes in our beautiful tiles.

The holder has a flat back, so it shouldn't be too awkward to stick.

So I guess I'm looking for an adhesive that will securely keep in place a toilet roll holder, which will be tugged at million times a day (ok so I'm exaggerating). As mentioned, we may want to change the holder in future, so I was also hoping that the method used would enable the adhesive to be easily removed when the time comes and without causing any damage/scratching to the tiles.

Obviously, I don't want the adhesive to be visible at the sides of the holder.

Is this possible? If so, with what and how?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You can use an adhesive, but it will stick like buggery, and you'll either break the wall when trying to get it off, or have loads left behind which won't clean off without military intervention.

There are adhesives which won't have these side effects, but they won't stay stuck for very long.

...or drill, which is the best way. You can always fit another one over the old holes, they are all pretty much the same size, being that all loo rolls are pretty much the same size.

Anyway why don't you just buy a good quality bog roll holder that you like in the first place, that will never need replacing. Or does the missus have a habit of changing her mind about such trivial things?

Thanks for the good advice Deluks!

Maybe I'll have to drill after all; it's just that the roll holder is plastic and it's just what I was looking for; they don't make these in metal or 'good quality'.

I don't think it'll break, but I'm wandering what if it does or we DO find a better quality one later on. The screws will most likely not be in the same position/quantity for a new holder and even so, I don't like the idea of having to put extra holes in the tiles even if they will be covered.

Anyhow, if I do ever change the holder and holes are exposed, what would be the best way to conceal them (the tiles are white)?

It's not the missus, it's me that might be changing my mind! Haha.

Thanks.

I recently removed a shower curtain rail that had been fixed by drilling the white bathroom tiles.
As the rawlplugs were well inside the holes I decided to leave them and just squeezed a bit of bathroom sealant into the hole and wiped flush with the surface of the tiles. I then used some spare white screwcaps from diy kitchen units and just pushed them into the setting sealer.
They are visible but not noticeable.

If the holes are small enough and you have some of the small white plugs that fit into the unused shelving holes in the units, try them for size.
dave

Sponsored Links
Double sided foam tape is excellant if you have enough surface area to secure too.

Thanks dave.m/foxhole.

There is 8cm x 10cm surface area but it already has a foam spongy thing stuck onto it, which means that if I use foam tape, it will have to be stuck onto the existing tape and not the actual material the holder is made of, as I don't think the existing foam is going to be removable!

(I was told it was new, but it had the label covering the foam removed and something else stuck onto it instead, which is not going to come off.

Thanks for all the advice; I'll try decide which is the best method to use from the advice given here.

I suppose my two requirements contradict each other slightly, i.e. strong enough to withstand tugging but easy to remove, haha.

Thanks for the info Bilioustrumpstaine. Will look into it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back