How to remove nail/screws from tiles (shower holder unit)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can someone let me know what options I have for removing the nail/screws from the bathroom tiles.

Here's what happen, the nails/screw in the picture is part of the bottom holder of the shower holder (the vertical rod where you can hook your shower head to)

One day the whole rod came loose and it was because the bottom screws "broke" i guess. From the pic you can see the rust.

I would like to re-install a new shower holder, and I was trying to remove the old screws and put new ones as I don't really want to drill new holes into the wall.

Any suggestions ? I've tried pulling them out it don't work.

Also, I didn't do the initial installation so I might be wrong, but it look as to me that the screws are surrounded by some kind of rubber material and not being screw directly into the wall/tiles. What is that thing ?

Sponsored Links
Your pictures have not come through, but the rubber sleeve will be a wall plug. Can you grasp the end of the screw with pliers or a small pair of mole grips and un screw them, cutting away part of the plug? Once out, you can remove the plugs and using new plugs replace the rail with new screws, preferably stainless steel.

Sponsored Links
It looks like wall plugs to me too. They're a long (maybe an inch?) plastic sleeve, into which the screws are tightened. Your best bet, as advised above, is to grab the broken end of the old screws with pliers or mole grips and unscrew them. Once the screws are out you should be able to pull out the old wall plugs using pointed pliers or similar, and refit new ones. The wall plug will be made of plastic so you could cut away the protruding part to get a better grip of the rusty screw.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back