Straightening a wonky hanging mirror

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Novice here requesting some help fixing a minor problem. :)

It's taken us a while to finally find a mirror for our lounge which fits the missus' requirements and, charged once again with the task of mounting something into brand new plaster (stress!), I spent ages measuring and re-measuring the wall and sites for the drill holes. Spirit level in hand, I set everything up and popped the mirror onto the wall only to notice upon pulling back, that once again I've wall-mounted something which is perfectly aligned with planet Earth, but not, sadly, with our ceiling. :rolleyes:

It's probably only half a degree out but because of the length of the mirror it is noticeable across the whole length. Does anyone have any good fixes for nudging one end of the frame up without drilling new holes? Can you half-fill the hanging slots with something safely, or attach a length of wire, maybe? It uses a simple 'slide-on' hanging fixture with one screw either side. Cheers in advance!

Sponsored Links
you dont say what size the mirror is how far out of line it is or what system it is secured by!!!!!

your roof/floor may be on an angle

also turn the level round and see if it still reads level!!!

You cant beat your eye sight for this sort of problem.
If the mirror is fixed with brackets, you could file the holes, make it into a slot, up one side down the other.
You should beable to straighten it, without a problem & without weakening the fixing.

Sponsored Links
It's probably less than 1cm out in height (I'm not a millimetre-perfect driller by any stretch) but the mirror's nearly a metre and a half long so by the time you get to the other end, you can see the slant. ;)
I don't know the technical words for the fixings, it's slotted on with, um, a sort of keyhole-shaped gap into which the screws go on either side of the frame? :oops:
If the mirror is fixed with brackets, you could file the holes, make it into a slot, up one side down the other.
You should beable to straighten it, without a problem & without weakening the fixing.
That's the kind of non-destructive solution I need, thanks for that mate I'll give it a shot; I'm glad there's a way without making the fixing weaker. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back