Straining/filtering paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Hoping it’s a quick one. I’ve read the tips about using fine muslin or tights to strain paint. Is this still the go to method or is one of those stainless steel strainers a better option? Like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/28566395...mCv9mJvT4K&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I’ve got a Wagner 350m sprayer and a load of covaplus vinyl matt from Johnstone’s. I like the covaplus but it does seem to flake up a bit when left in the tub. That won’t be good for the sprayer I’m sure so I’m just trying to work out the best way of doing it. I’ve probably got a good 60 litres to do as I’m painting the whole house. Planning to do most of it in one go.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Veg bags from supermarket are good. Bit small but can tape on 5lt can.

I like the big net bags from AliExpress

Veg bags from supermarket are good. Bit small but can tape on 5lt can.

I like the big net bags from AliExpress
Thanks! Have you got a link? I’m not sure what you mean by veg bags. All I can think are the orange net ones you get onions in but that’d be too big to stop any flakes getting through.

Supermarket sell veg bags for 25p. Aldi Sainsbury's ect. They don't give out free plastic bags to put carrots or apples in ect now, so you have to bring your own or buy the net bags in the boxes scattered around fruit and veg.
I guess you're not in the uk?

Do you want link to AliExpress bags? Bit of a wait for those.

Aldi veg bag. Use as paint strainer. It's a known thing

17106923421625792750821228651608.jpg

Sponsored Links
Supermarket sell veg bags for 25p. Aldi Sainsbury's ect. They don't give out free plastic bags to put carrots or apples in ect now, so you have to bring your own or buy the net bags in the boxes scattered around fruit and veg.
I guess you're not in the uk?

Do you want link to AliExpress bags? Bit of a wait for those.

Aldi veg bag. Use as paint strainer. It's a known thing

View attachment 336971
Good point on the wait time. Ah I don’t think I’ve spotted those before. I tried some tights earlier and nothing went through them so assume they were too thick.

I’ll pop to Aldi tomorrow and give those a go. I am in the UK. I just don’t tend to go to supermarkets these days. Usually get them delivered by Morrisons.

What do you tend to strain it into? A clean bucket or have you got a special painters tub of some sort?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Thin paint.
Tape the net over 5lt can of the paint.
Pour through the net.

Other way is just use a bucket or old clean paint tin. Work something out that works for you

Thin paint.
Tape the net over 5lt can of the paint.
Pour through the net.

Other way is just use a bucket or old clean paint tin. Work something out that works for you
I’ve got a load of 10 litre ones but I guess it depends how big the bag is. Do you go by manufacturer instructions for thinning the paint or is there a hard and fast rule when it comes to sprayers?

Do you tend to back roll as well? I’m rolling the paint in the conservatory as we speak and it keeps orange peeling. I’m using a short pile roller so I’ve just thinned it a bit for the second coat. Guessing it’s too thick at the min.

Depends on sprayer and thickness of paint.
Something you need to try and get familiar with.
Manufacturers do provide a guide but its only that. Trial and error

Depends on sprayer and thickness of paint.
Something you need to try and get familiar with.
Manufacturers do provide a guide but its only that. Trial and error
Thanks Wayners. Appreciate the info. I guess it’s better to go too thin than too thick? Assuming back rolling is only done to make any touch ups easier?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back