Strange Alarm Sounding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This morning at 3.30am I was woken by the sound of our external alarm sounder :cry: , the internal was not sounding. It sounded for a minute or so and during this time it was as if someone was holding the 12v cable on the connection point but not very steadily if you can imagine the noise that would make with the crackle before going into full sound.

Anyway this happened a few times over the next 5 minutes. The RKP didn't show any any activations or tamper faults and showed that it was set correctly. I did unset the alarm anyway and still the problem persisted with the RKP denying any alarm. In the end I had to go up a ladder and disconnect the alarm completely.

So here are some facts, that may or may not be relevant.

The Texecom Veritas R8+ alarm has been installed for just over 2 years. It has an ACT Spike Suppressor fitted. Nothing like this has ever happened in the past. The external sounder is an ADE Reson8.

Yesterday I was in the loft and found that the previous owner had wired a socket into a lighting circuit. The cables were still required as part of the circuit so I replaced the socket with a junction box. This is within a few inches of some of the alarm cables but in the same place as the socket was and I am 100% confident that I didn't damage any of these cables. This junction box is at the other end of the loft from the external sounder box and cable route so I know that I haven't damaged that cable in any way.

:?: So could it be interference from mains cables, but why then did the control panel not activate? Could it be a faulty alarm box or control panel? Any suggestions would be most welcome to get to the bottom of this.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back