Strange diagonal wooden structure in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I was thinking about doing something with the loft in my new house so I go up to investigate and find diagonal enclosed wooden structure. It's not touching the walls just goes from roof at the back of the house to the ceiling in the middle, I would be above the top of the stairs and gets wider as it goes down. I googled "Strange diagonal wooden structure in loft" but it can't tell me? What is it? Thanks and sorry if this is something obvious!

Sponsored Links
Photos please.

(Thought I'd be the first to ask this time!)

I googled "Strange diagonal wooden structure in loft" but it can't tell me? What is it?
I think you may have been throwing google a curved ball. with that search? try something like . Types of roof timber construction. or Roof truss construction and select images.
litl

So photos. The side, the front, the bottom and the top. Sorry it the photos aren't great.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 444
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    133.9 KB · Views: 471
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    128.5 KB · Views: 455
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    127.3 KB · Views: 449
Sponsored Links
Whats on the ceiling below it? Looks like its been rendered from the inside. Some sort of light tunnel?

L&P plastered from the inside is very strange, so there must surely be room for a man inside. Could it be a fire escape to a roof hatch?

A skylight could be right, but I don't think I've ever seen a sun pipe so old.

Is there a hatch or skylight still visible on the roof, or in the room below? Or a room or staircase with no window for natural light?

What are the dimensions? Is there an access hatch in the loft?

Intriguing!

Last edited:
There is a false ceiling above the stairs so I can't see what's directly below it. I also can't see anything on the roof but it may be behind the chimney. At the top it would be about 40cm and athe the bottom about 100cm these are estimates as I can't get up in the loft right now. The previous owners had the roof re-done in ~2009. It is strange isn't it?!

How on earth did they plaster the inside of that... poor spread...

Seen something similar in the Great Pyramid to aid the Pharaoh on his trip to the afterlife, does it point to the north star?

My other guess would be a light tunnel, I have seen old houses that had a duct up to a skylight to light the landing usually a leaky old metal window at the top, I reckon it was done away with as they leak and are almost impossible to clean.

Cue

I'd agree with the possible some kind of light tube/funnel suggestions.
However, the roof exit would actually come out just below a chimney stack.
But, allowing for that possibly shadowed location, the OP does mention that its directly above the stairwell where it could have provided a form of permanent lighting?

OP, photo 133.9 shows some disturbed underslate white sheet material just by the chimney stack - it looks as though something (the lead back gutter) has collapsed or some rubble has fallen?
The final common rafter next to the party wall also looks a bit odd at the lower end?

Looks like a light well to me too. Probably used to be a rooflight at the top and a glazed hatch at the bottom to bring some natural light to the stairs.

So if it is a light well, it doesn't need to be there and can be gotten rid of, yes?

Like wot wessex101 said, can't see any reason why not!
Maybe cut a small access hole just to check if there is anything in there first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back