Old 1970s loft conversion, Timber Joists sagging

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have an old loft conversion done about 1976 with dorma - not quite the full 9m width of the property.

I have the original plans, it was done by a builder who owned the property and carried out extensive alterations.

I was updating a room below the loft, and investigating the dipping ceiling of the room (not massively dopped - 2") the problem is with the origional loft conversion. There are 3 long 8x2 joists which have been sistered ---====--- to make the width of the property sitting on the roof ties, with a timber supporting wall in the middle of the property.

Annoyingly the joist above the room which has dipped doesn't actually go into the external brick wall for support, it just touches it - the weight is on the roof ties / ceiling - hence the dip. This area of the loft has some, now bypassed, water tanks. The other side sits on a chimney breast.

Acro props have been used to take the ceiling bow out, I'm told only as a short term fix another joist could be put in the loft and provide support.

I understand that this is a structural issue and needs a structural engineer. I just wanted to know would getting steels in mean taking the whole loft conversion apart and essentially it being done again to current regs?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
i speak for myself but without something visual i cant make out what you are describing or asking?

I second Bob as the group spokesperson (y)(y)

But to pre-empt the festive season I would add "A timber bow is for life, not just for Christmas"

Sponsored Links
I understand that this is a structural issue and needs a structural engineer.
I can't understand the situation either but 50mm is an unacceptable drop. The structural engineer will advise on the structural remedial work required and advise on bldg. regs.

"Heavy lies the crown".

Jack Nicholson
or was it Shakespeare?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back