LOFT CONVERSION

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I wish to lay 8x2 floor joists next to the current 4x2 for a loft conversion
The span from the back wall to an internal loadbearing wall is approx 3.3M so C24 should be OK
Currently there is a Purlin wall built supporting the roof on each sides
The wall is embedded in the external side walls top and bottom and then struts are placed at each joist width. The bottom of the wall sits on the current joists
How can I lay the new joists through this wall? Is it possible to cut the bottom of the wall, slide in the new joist them reattach the wall to the new joists using brasings of some kind. Each joist would be done separately to limit the stress changes but would further support be needed before the cutting?
I have added some pictures of a similar layout
Thanks

Sponsored Links
From the looks of it, you have a ceiling binder directly below the purlin and that one is borrowing support from the other.

When the new joists are installed, you should be able to do away the ceiling binder provided the existing joists are adequately fixed to the new ones. A scaffold plank below the ceiling and a couple of acros is all you need to stop the existing ceiling sagging whilst the ceiling binder is removed.

However, if the purlin is borrowing support from the binder (which i don't think it is) then you will have to replicate the existing scenario above the new joists, i.e. binder across the tops of the new joists and upright props between binder and purlin. The purlin would also need supporting whilst this was taking place. You could use the plank and acro arrangement (supporting the ceiling) to achieve this, though it may mean further acros on the ground floor also.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back