DIY LOFT CONVERSION ADVICE

Sponsored Links
You have failed to grasp what any of us are saying. You are at the stage whereby you need to consult both an SE and BC. Failure to do so will not only potentially cost you a lot financially (which you have expressed is the opposite to your aim) but far worse may endanger the inhabitants. No self respecting members of the forum want to be part of that, why would they? That said this is a pretty definitive guide http://www.carmarthenshire.gov.uk/E...terations/Documents/Loft conversion guide.pdf

Def need SE as the beams for no steel seem to small my has 6x2 joists throughout. Bit I do have a rear domer and only one room

Hi,

yes i will be using 8x2 for the beams now as i agree 6x2 is too small.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
no 6x2 may well be fine you stated 4x2 in early post
8x2 may be to big and cost much more

Hi

No the 4x2 is what is already in the loft (i.e before i start)

I said :

'I will also need to take out the struts (and binders) after adding additional strengthening. Was thinking of putting additional 6x2 times 2 bolted together under the purlins and adding verticle supports. the 6x2's would rest on the new 6x2 joists'.

Sorry missread op on beam size
My point was backing.up the need for SE as no one know size without calculating loading etc.
As a DIYer I employed as SE as "professionals" wanted differing beam sizes no real calculations to back up there statements. Ohh and £20k lol
Only got BC involved when reg applied for. they BC made some amendments to SE plans and that was it . They added noise suppression board etc

The SE has been and had a look.

NO steel required.

Just waiting for his design now and then submitting through Council..

Good luck,going through the correct procedure sometimes seems like an expensive exercise but its much cheaper to to get calculations,plans,bull poop etc agreed before work starts.

The SE has been and had a look.

NO steel required.

Just waiting for his design now and then submitting through Council..

Just seen Kent. Whom are you using as a SE and what council is it STG for there regs . I know mine is based in Medway and does advertise the no steel work loft conversion. STG did change a few thing over the SE strength improvements

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back