Strange EFLI results

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been testing at Secure Heights today....

My Zs's are all up the creek. Not tried lighting, but rings & cooker circuits are much higher than the adjusted figures I use.

Ze is 0.22 on TN-S.

But Zs from rings are: 1.37, 1.46 & from cooker 1.05.

One ring continuity test reads L = 0.54 N = 0.54 E=0.95

Rings & cooker on 32A Type 2's.

Initially thought Ze was up the creek, but it seems all these 3 circuits are much higher than the max allowable, especially taking into account the low Ze.

Cooker circuit is 8m away. Rings may be majority 2.5/1.0, though.

I fear I have a few too many JB's with loose connections. All connections are tight at CU & outlets.

Inherited the system when house purchased in 1999. Time for a rewire, methinks... :cry: :cry:

Sponsored Links
Have you done an R1 + R2 reading on the cooker?

I would favour a loose / corroded connection somewhere along the line.

I'll do you a good price on a rewire for cash ;)

Not on the cooker, no. But this would not explain carppy readings on the other circs...

You are the first person I would ask to do a rewire for me. However, I can't afford it at the moment..... :cry:

Also found lots of imperial singles connected to T&E wiring in lighting circuit. Very bad....

A long shot but: when my meter batteries are failing (Megger) the EFLI readings are wierd. Have you considered this?

Sponsored Links
Yes, I did. But the indicator is still at 2/3.

I'll try with a colleagues meter another day.

Using the BS1363 lead for your tester? Worn sockets and cooker point socket?

I've found some odd results from test gear when batteries are at the end of their useful life, using both ni-cads and dry cells.

Although the battery indicators may show all OK, the battery voltage drops off rapidly under load, screwing up test results, but recovering off load and showing OK again on battery test.

'tis true then, that electricians often have the worst wiring in their own homes ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back