Strange extension lead and powered USB hub problem

N

NewFolder

I have a 6-way extension lead, which has, amongst other things, a powered USB hub, a 16 inch pedestal fan, and a tower fan plugged in to it.

Occasionally, when I switch one of the fans off, my keyboard, plugged into the USB hub, stops responding for a few seconds.

Does anyone have any idea about what exactly could cause this to happen?

Sponsored Links
Switching off an inductive load creates a high voltage spike on the mains. This can induced current spikes in cables from equipment supplied from that mains supply. In your case there are probably spike currents flowing along the USB cables which with knock the hub out of sync with items connected to it. It than takes a while for the synch to be re-established. The spikes can damage equipment so better to move the fans to a different socket.

Switching off an inductive load creates a high voltage spike on the mains. This can induced current spikes in cables from equipment supplied from that mains supply. In your case there are probably spike currents flowing along the USB cables which with knock the hub out of sync with items connected to it. It than takes a while for the synch to be re-established. The spikes can damage equipment so better to move the fans to a different socket.

Very informative, thank you.

Is there any way I could somehow stop the voltage spike from occurring without moving it to another socket? The only other place I could plug it in is another extension lead with other sensitive electronic equipment plugged into it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back